Drift wood wont sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NFrons51

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a hollowed out price of wood that I wanted to put into my 55 gallon, I got it home and it wouldn't sink, then I realized it was for a reptile tank and was in the wrong section of the store, I like the way it looks and would still like to put it in, any advise on how to get it to sink to the bottom, by the way, I have 3 rainbow sharks, 3 red tail sharks 2 pictus cats and 3 silver dollars

I believe if you thoroughly soak the log and completely submerge it to remove all air bubbles before adding to the tank it should be able to sink.

Some driftwood will never sink trust me. Not on its own anyway. You may have to "help" it. You can screw a piece of slate to it and cover the slate with your substrate.

I had driftwood soaking(3weeks) AFTER I boiled it and it still wouldn't sink. I tossed it.

Yeah, I've had a 4 1/2 ft piece in my 150g and it's still not completely waterlogged after about a year or so, not to mention it soaked for over a month in a tub.
I attacked slate to the pieces in my 55g. So no worries.

Just weigh it down with rocks that's what I did..you can treat wood from the woods just make sure it is a hard wood like oak,maple,ash etc. the aquarium"driftwood" redic expensive for no reason and it discolors your water. Treating is easy soak it in vinegar and distiller or declorinated water for few weeks...found really cool pieces and nothing bad has happened

Most likely it's grapevine if it was in the reptile section. Grapevine is a softer wood that will breakdown quicker then most aquarium woods

Back
Top Bottom