Drift Woood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonoma2nv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added some drift wood to my tank and now it has some white fuzzy stuff on it.will it go away or do i need to scrub it off.I boiled it before i put it in the tank. Thanks

What kind of driftwood is it? You should definately scrub it down before adding to the tank.

It's just fungus growing on the surface - airborne spores are hard to kill - even by boiling. It certainly wouldn't hurt to pull out the wood and scrub it with hot water. If you leave it in the tank, the fungus will just die.

ok thanks i did scrub it before i boiled it.but ill take it out and scrub again .

well i had the fungus growing again it was about 1" long since the 12th i pulled it out again and scrubed it. is there any thing i can put on the wood to kill what ever it is?

I would soak it in a bleach solution (reasonably strong), for a day or so, and then in a solution of water and a little vinegar to neutralize the chlorine (you could use dechlor), and than soak and rinse well (or boil if you like) and it should be ready for another try.

Back
Top Bottom