Driftwood from saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good job with finding it! I'm not an expert, but I would think that boiling would get anything off of there.

Good, also... It has some bark left on it... I kind of like it but... Off or on?

Homedog98 said:
Good, also... It has some bark left on it... I kind of like it but... Off or on?

I'd say if you boil it really good and the bark stays on, leave it. I bought a huge piece of DW with big cracks in it and it looks cool, gives me some where to stuff java moss to grow in and one gap is big enough that a couple danois swim inside it :).

Your going to want to do a lot of cleaning/drying/cleaning because the DW is going to be soaked with sea water, through and through.

Ya, this stuff is super dried out already though... How will that effect things?

Homedog98 said:
Ya, this stuff is super dried out already though... How will that effect things?

Haven't done DW from nature yet, but IOM boil/dry/soak/dry/boil. Wood is porous so there's gonna be lots of stuff in there, wet or dry.

Sure! I'll take some pics of the stuff tonight! I need some help picking out which ones I'm gonna use... So get your voting gears on!

You're lucky in that respect. That is precisely what you want in driftwood for an aquarium. A lot of times you have to wait until it seasons before you can use it. Don't leave the bark on if you help it. You don't want any rot in the wood and under the bark is where rot often hides.

As for the barnacles, they may come off during boiling. You better hope so. Otherwise they will need to be scraped off with a putty knife. Barnacles adhere to surfaces VERY tightly. That is how they can stick to a boat's hull even with the pressure of the water dragging at them as the boat moves through the water. I definitely wouldn't leave them on so they can add to your bioload.

As far as the salt goes, remember that you don't want ANY salt in that tank with the Corydoras you're going to keep.

Great! I'll put up some pics of the wood this afternoon, so you guys can help me choose which piece I should add. As for the barnacles,wouldn't they die if left in freshwater?

Great! I'll put up some pics of the wood this afternoon, so you guys can help me choose which piece I should add. As for the barnacles,wouldn't they die if left in freshwater?

Probably, but you don't want them to die and rot in your tank do you? Talk about bioload!

Homedog98 said:

Yes I assume so. But that would be very bad for your tanks, and I would try to get them off before it goes in your tank.

ok... i give up with these dumb PICTURES!!! ill post some with my dads iphone once he gets a new battery for it... but i refuse to deal with this pics!!! wow... THEY POSTED!!! ill upload the others!!!

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg