Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a real nice piece of driftwood from a lake by my house and want to use it. So far I've boiled it half an hour on both sides and I'm soaking it in a bucket till it sinks. Is there anything else I should do?

Sent from a pelipper

I got a real nice piece of driftwood from a lake by my house and want to use it. So far I've boiled it half an hour on both sides and I'm soaking it in a bucket till it sinks. Is there anything else I should do?

Sent from a pelipper

If you want to be extra careful you can sun dry it. That will kill any parasites that boiling has not. It also might leach some tannins.

Tannins are harmless to your tank and actually are used to make "blackwater" tanks, but many people don't like the stained look. Carbon helped me to remove some of my tannins.

There is also a possibility it will start to get a white goo all over it. This is just bacteria from the wood it's harmless, some people use a gravel vacuum to clean it off, others like myself gently take it out of the tank and scrub it off with tank water. As stated it's harmless it just looks horrendous.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Yeah just boil it for a few hours and it should be right to go straight in. You will probably get the fungus no matter what which will go as stated in above post.

I added a piece of African wood that I bout at the store and it turned the water a-little brown. That won't be harmful correct? And will the driftwood make it darker? Cause I'm really digging the look of it

Sent from a pelipper

Drift wood when not steeped in water before being put into the tank readers tannins! It will eventually clear after w/c but is not harmful to the tank whatsoever! I agree with the look, it gives it a real Amazon look

Sent from my iPhone

Any idea how long it'll take a piece like this to sink?

Sent from a pelipper

That's hard to say. If it was the usual Mopani, manzanita, or Malaysian DW, then maybe a few day (or hours). With stuff from the wild...not sure. I once had a branchy type of DW that floated for about 8-9 months outdoors in a small pond. That was after a few boilings.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah it completely depends on the wood. I boiled hard wood logs that I used as caves for about 8 hours all up. It was an Aussie native with deep red colouring so the intense boil was necessary. They sunk straight away for me

Back
Top Bottom