Dropsey/bloat in honey gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Upacreek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed this evening that one of my sunset honey gourami is incredibly bloated looking...upon further inspection, it appears as though the scales are somewhat bristled. I assume this is Dropsy.

My question is this: I don't currently have a QT, so what should I do with the sick gourami? I can isolate him in a net breeder--or should I euthanize it? I don't want other fish to get sick if they aren't already.

29 gallon
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates <10
Temp 78

I've had these fish for over 6 weeks with no problems. Tank was cycled prior to adding them. Weekly PWCs of about 20-25%.

Only thing that is different in the tank is the addition of a breeder net to house a few guppy fry dropped this past week.

What would you do? Do I need to do anything for the other fish?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1965343776.jpg
    image-1965343776.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 76
  • image-215437987.jpg
    image-215437987.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1166276110.jpg
    image-1166276110.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 82
If you want to try and treat, he needs to be qt'd. He is textbook case of a dropsied fish. Unfortunately, as these are all new fish, there is no reasonable way for you to determine what the exact cause or causes may be. Trying to determine a causative factor in a dropsied fish can be difficult at best as dropsy is a symptom of a disease/environmental factors rather than a disease itself.

Back
Top Bottom