Dry rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium advice master

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a tank already cycled with live rock and sand and I want to put some more rock. I herd that you need to cure dry rock. Is their any way not to do that because I don't have the space to do it? Can I just pick of the dead stuff on the rock?

if you already cycle your tank and the rocks, then the new rocks will get cured eventually. actually, if you put the new rock in the tank, it will only take a few days for them to be cured.

if you already cycle your tank and the rocks, then the new rocks will get cured eventually. actually, if you put the new rock in the tank, it will only take a few days for them to be cured.

Not exactly. Dry rock is cured to ensure that it doesn't contain any trapped phosphates or nitrates which could fuel an algae bloom. Op if you can just get a food safe bun and put some water in it and let it sit for a few weeks to ensure the rock isn't leaching anything into the water column.

Not exactly. Dry rock is cured to ensure that it doesn't contain any trapped phosphates or nitrates which could fuel an algae bloom. Op if you can just get a food safe bun and put some water in it and let it sit for a few weeks to ensure the rock isn't leaching anything into the water column.

yes i agree with you. but i'm under the impression that the OP doesn't have anything in the tank other than liverock and water. so if that's the case, then he/she can simply put the new rock into the tank. if cycling does re-occur, it should be a swift one.

If you add a big piece of dry (dead) white rock into your tank, just monitor the NO3/PO4... If you get a spike I would do water changes or dose NOPOX.

The white rock will fade into a green, then darker color, and end up live rock after few months. Then coraline will start to grow on it.

Make sure you rinse the rock well before you put it in the tank. I would soak it in a RODI water bucket for 1-2 days... I use white dry rocks for making frags, but thoses rocks are so small I only give them a little rinse of tap before gluing frags...

Imho its important to cure dry rock. At one point I added dry rock to a tank of salt water and let it sit a few days before I was going to move my smaller tank into the new one. Thankfully I checked ammonia before I made the switch because it tested off the charts with nothing but 15lbs dry rock in a 40g tank.

It's not worth it to risk your live stock on the off chance that there might not be an ammonia spike.

Back
Top Bottom