Duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisZ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Holy crap! I bought some duckweed from a local pet store a few weeks ago and the stuff has probably increased 50% it seems. Is this normal? If so, does anyone want some? I'll sell it very cheap. My alternate choice is to put it in a 100 gallon I have sitting outside. It's a pretty floater, but good lord. I wish I would have taken before and after pics. Originally it had only about 1/4 the tank covered, but now it's nearly 1/2!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha! I had the same exact thing happen to me! One or two tablespoons of it and a couple months later there is an inch thick layer at the top! I took out almost all of it and dumped it in a pond where it can't be spread to major waterways, and hopefully the bullfrogs will enjoy it. Good luck keeping it under control!

I just remove half when I do a water change. It's not worth anything because it's so prolific. Don't dump it into waterways either, fertilize it.

Hi Chris, I've used duckweed in the past to naturally control Nitrate levels but it multiplied so much it starved the plants and shaded them too much. If I fed the plants it went even madder. I got rid and wouldn't have it again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wow glad I read this post I was just thinking of getting some, but I don't want it now... Thanks

Haha consider yourself lucky! I guess it's kind of like java moss, once it gets in your tank it never comes out.

Wish I could keep mine going. Im pretty sure everything in my tank eats it. MY 5 gallon it grows like mad and then I transfer it to my 29 but it never lasts anymore. Im pretty sure everything likes to nip at it.

Back
Top Bottom