Dwarf Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austriaguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gallon saltwater. While it is cycling I am planning my my stocking list. I am hoping to put a dwarf Angel is as a sort of centerpiece. While researching most need about 50-70 gallons. While most sites say this, why do some say that they only need 20? i am very attracted to the potters angel, but I saw a smaller angel, I believe it was called the fishers angel. Would this be a better alternative? Thank you for all help in advance.

I have a 36 gallon saltwater. While it is cycling I am planning my my stocking list. I am hoping to put a dwarf Angel is as a sort of centerpiece. While researching most need about 50-70 gallons. While most sites say this, why do some say that they only need 20? i am very attracted to the potters angel, but I saw a smaller angel, I believe it was called the fishers angel. Would this be a better alternative? Thank you for all help in advance.

I think the confusion comes from the differentiating of the different angel families. In truth, there are 4 general catagories: The larger Pomacanthus/Holocanthus, etc, The med/large Genicanthus/including some Holocanthus, the medium sized Dwarf Angels and lastly the Pigmy Angels. While dwarf and pigmy Angels carried the family name centropyge, it's only the pigmy branch of these that will do okay in a smaller tank. The dwarf Angel branch should really be kept in larger ( than a 20 gal.) tank, like a 4' long or larger.
In your case, the Potter's is a dwarf angel and would be better in a larger tank but the Fishers is a pigmy so it would be okay in your tank and a better choice (IMO) than the Potters. There are also other pigmy Angels that you can consider such as the Atlantic Pigmy, Pacific Whitetail, African Flameback, Atlantic Flameback and Atlantic Replendent (if you can find them and afford it :brows:) to name a few.

As for what you have read on other sites, the info may have come from someone who clumped all the Centropyges together forgetting that there are 2 branches to that tree;) That might acount for the 20 gal comment.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit for you (y)

sorry thought I said :D

Yes either would work in a 36

mine in a 37

img_2439177_0_c07204aea3886b6562aa08066fd5c8e1.jpg

Thank you for clearing up all of my confusion! i don't know what i would do without this sight

Great answer Andy!

I'd go with a Flameback if you can find one. Great looking fish and interesting to watch too.

Great answer Andy!

I'd go with a Flameback if you can find one. Great looking fish and interesting to watch too.

I happen to like the Flamebacks myself as well. I was really happy with the Brazilian ones we were importing. A little more expensive than the African ones but WOW, that blue/purple really stuck out. :brows: But then again, you can get a harem of Atl. Pigmys with that color sans the red. Or, if you're like me and can't decide, set up another tank :lol: (y) :facepalm:

I think certain fish are worth the extra money due to the better colors. Flamebacks, Halequin Tusks, most Red Sea versus other areas, etc.

I think certain fish are worth the extra money due to the better colors. Flamebacks, Halequin Tusks, most Red Sea versus other areas, etc.

Yea, it's all about perception. lol My customer in Japan used to go GaGA over Rock Beauties and Queen Angels while I was going eh, rock beauties and queens. I, on the other hand, would always be asking him about Blue Line Angels and Wrought Iron butterfiles and Interruptus Angels and he'd go eh, blue line angels, wrought iron butterfiles and interruptus angels. I guess it's all according to what you have available all the time. :D :ROFLMAO:

(y)

Back
Top Bottom