Dwarf gourami help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlstoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dwarf is just sitting on the bottom of my tank chilling. I thought they were mid to high swimmers? He does this sometimes and when I feed he goes out and goes everywhere for the food. Should I be worried

Hi

I wouldn't be concerned. Mine did that, and my bettas have all done it too.

Our opaline gourami doesn't. She sleeps in the pennywort we have floating.

Dwarf gourami is now just hovering mid tank and looks like he is breathing extra hard. Does this mean anything?

Actually yes. I believe so. What should I do??

How long have you had it? and how long has this been going on?
Other tank mates?

IME my gourami usually hide like this because they are feeling stressed. Most often this is because of my environment - lack of coverage(they like a "well planted tank" usually or something else in the tank(water, tank mates)

Though if he's acting strange now with heavy breathing and bloating it may be something else.

Have you tested your water? Any other signs? Swimming strange.

How long have you had it? and how long has this been going on?
Other tank mates?

IME my gourami usually hide like this because they are feeling stressed. Most often this is because of my environment - lack of coverage(they like a "well planted tank" usually or something else in the tank(water, tank mates)

Though if he's acting strange now with heavy breathing and bloating it may be something else.

Have you tested your water? Any other signs? Swimming strange.

I have had him since 11/30/12. This has only been going on a few days. He has 5 glofish danios put in before him. And 3 neon tetras added after. Water is good. I'm going to do another water change tomorrow. Other fish are normal it seems. He isn't really swimming just hovering.
Here is a pic of the tank:

image-780526212.jpg

And a pic of gourami:

image-3353477264.jpg

how are his scales? Are they laying flat like normal or are they raised? He certainly is bigger/rounder than he should be. May be dropsy.

Dwarf Gouramis are often said to be prone to sickness.

I'll give that a try. I take the skin off right??

Thank you! Any recommendation on how to get him to eat it??

Fast him for a few days. If it is bloat a break from food will do him good and then offer the peas. As mentioned deshelled and cooled. Just small bits at a time, they will sink. Hopefully if he hasn't eaten in a couple days he will be more interested in them but if he isn't showing interest in eating right now he may not take them.

I would look into Dwarf Gourami Disease some to be on the safe side though I've never heard of bloating to be involved. I believe it's usually sores/wounds and scale issues along with behavior changes and swimming issues. Though poor breeding makes DGs a common target to illness it seems so it could be many things.

Oscar (dwarf gourami) didn't make it through the night :/. Not sure as to why. I thought the tank was almost perfect.

Oscar (dwarf gourami) didn't make it through the night :/. Not sure as to why. I thought the tank was almost perfect.

I'm sorry. :( It could have just been poor breeding that reared it's head. Many people have health issues with DGs and it can be very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom