Dwarf Gourami with Swollen Red eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lochnessholly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! It's me again....so my husband got me this DG without me knowing about a fishless cycle. We had a tiger barb, but he managed to exchange it for three platies. (I know, I know. I told him to just leave it as the DG.)

Tanks been going since thursday, with 2 25% changes and one 10% change just today. My DG was doing fine yesterday, and today one of his eyes is a little swollen and has a red ring around it.

I don't have a testing kit yet, but the water temp is at a solid 79 degrees, the other fish are doing fine, and he's fed once every other day.

Sorry I can't give more specifics. Afraid I bit off more than I could chew with this one. Would be easier if my husband stopped trying to "help" haha. thanks!

In a FishI cycle I would be changing 50% water everyday. That's what I do. And get that test kit, you really need that with fish in cycling to know when your fish are getting to a dangerous level.

In a FishI cycle I would be changing 50% water everyday. That's what I do. And get that test kit, you really need that with fish in cycling to know when your fish are getting to a dangerous level.

Ok, good to know. I knew I needed to be doing PWC's frequently, but I wasn't really sure on how often or how much. Would that be the cause of the red eye?

Possibly it could be the water chemistry being bad causing it. Your ammonia could be sky high right now and you don't know it and that can lead to many problems including death. That's why it's best to be testing and if there is a spike you can immediately do a water change. I would stick for sure with at least 50% changes a day tho

Possibly it could be the water chemistry being bad causing it. Your ammonia could be sky high right now and you don't know it and that can lead to many problems including death. That's why it's best to be testing and if there is a spike you can immediately do a water change. I would stick for sure with at least 50% changes a day tho

I'll get right on that.

Keep us updated on how you are making out. You have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask. Everyone is very helpful on here. Good luck. :)

Calypso77 said:
Keep us updated on how you are making out. You have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask. Everyone is very helpful on here. Good luck. :)

Thanks! I'll definitely do that. I wish I had found this site before I got the DG. One, this tank is too small, and two apparently they aren't very healthy to begin with. Oops x.x

Ya 10 gal is a good starter. We started with 10. Moved to 20 gal 2 weeks later. lol

Well, after a 60% pwc last night my DG to be doing much better. The swelling in his eye went down And the redness is going away. Two of my platies are doing fine and one just keeps hovering near the top and is crazy fat o.o going to continue doing 50% changes until I can afford a test kit. Any advice?

Calypso77 said:
Is your fat platy female or male?

I have no idea how to tell. She's larger than the other two.

I feel like such an idiot. We got this tank used with the filter. It's a whisper 10i. I went to see if the filter was clogged....I've been running it this whole time without the cartridge. Also, my husband now thinks my tank is a 5 gallon, which means all of these fish are way too big. But helen I compared it to tanks at the store it looked like a 20g x.c this is such a mess @-@

I have no idea how to tell. She's larger than the other two.

I feel like such an idiot. We got this tank used with the filter. It's a whisper 10i. I went to see if the filter was clogged....I've been running it this whole time without the cartridge. Also, my husband now thinks my tank is a 5 gallon, which means all of these fish are way too big. But helen I compared it to tanks at the store it looked like a 20g x.c this is such a mess @-@

Oh my goodness. Can you take pictures. Can you measure your tank we might be able to figure out size that way. Does your fat fish have a pointy fin underneath or more round like?

I am such an idiot x_x I'm pretty positive it's a five gallon tank. @---@ the person who gave us the tank said it was a ten and I took their word for it. I have a ten gallon heater in there, is that gonna be a problem?

Here are some pictures. Ignore the seal on top, he's to keep my kitten out of the top of the tank. You can also see her in the reflection on the wall.

Attachments

• image-222452072.jpg
    image-222452072.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image-54639816.jpg
    image-54639816.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2784301746.jpg
    image-2784301746.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2359566254.jpg
    image-2359566254.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1054387979.jpg
    image-1054387979.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 93
Well, lesson learned. I suppose that's why
My DG got sick....smaller tank means more ammonia. If I can keep them from dying will they be okay to keep in there as it cycles until we get out 55g next month?

Your heater will be fine in that tank. It does look like a 5 gal to me. Your Platies look female to me that fat one may be pregnant. Love the dwarf g. I want one or two. Hehehe

I would assume they could be ok for a month in there, I wouldnt push it much more then that and I would be doing at least 50% water changes everyday too.

Calypso77 said:
Oh and what I can see of your kitty is adorable. :)

She is a menace x.x I just did a 50% change which is what made us question the size. I've been hinting to my husband that I want a bigger tank for our anniversary :x they all seem happy, and the DG's eye has even been returning to normal.

I just feel like a really big failure xP you'd think as a marine biology student i'd know about something as common as the nitrogen cycle.

But his eye really is doing better.

Attachments

• image-223568204.jpg
    image-223568204.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-804518078.jpg
    image-804518078.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 108
Very cute kitty. Don't feel bad Hun it's a learning process for all of us.

Back
Top Bottom