dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winnie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
do male gouramis make bubble nests even if there are no females in the tank?

my larger gourami has made a nest the last 2 days. a week ago i added a pearl blue (smaller) to the tank(10 gallon) & the big one is chasing the blue one a lot. i'm assuming both are males since the blue one has nice color but not sure. i do have lots of plants, floating included, and driftwood so there are plenty of places to hide.
i was going to take out water today and add new but decided to wait till i get advice from you all.

My only experience with this type of behaviour is with male bettas of the gourami family. They frequently make bubble nests, even when solitary.

I'll also say (and I'm no expert) that I have read in some of the posts here and other places that gouramis can often be sexed through their dorsal fins. The male has a pointed dorsal while the females are rounder. So, if you bought a blue gourami, you may be best to take a look at the dorsal fin to try to sex it. Both males and females can be aggressive, as well.

Yes, every now and then they will make a bubble neat as i hav expirienced with mine but he has never finished one,

Yes, they will bubble nests without females around. Also, IMO 10g is not enough for dg. Female dg tend to be pretty hard to find, and do not have as much color. You rarely see them for sale. Based on the info at hand, I am guessing you have 2 males, and I suggest re-homing one of them.

Back
Top Bottom