Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover13

Aquarium Advice Regular
How many can I house in a 30 gallon? I have a UV Sterilizer as a filter.

One, as they are very territorial toward their own species once they hit sexual maturity. You could do more if you could find females but they are generally quite rare (they're dull in color and most LFSs will only carry the brighter males).

I have a 40g that had 3 males, (platies, guppies, danios, as tank mates) one died of parasites, the two left started fighting, I then got two females (just ask the lfs they usually can order them, I paid 5$) and everything is now fine. (My tank is also highly planted and has hiding areas.)

They tend to do better in pairs. I had 4 in my 20 gallon with some tetras and a pleco just make sure they have plenty of hiding spaces.

You can get a male and a female. I have a pair in my 25 gallon. Just call your LFS and ask if they have males and females. If you are at the LFS already the males are brightly colored and the females are a little smaller and silver in color. Having floating plants will also calm them down.

First off a UV sterilizer is not a filter just so you know.

As for dwarf gouramis... you don't have to keep them in pairs but is nice when you can find females since many stores don't stock them due to the fact they tend to be very drab and most people won't buy them. Also since DG's have individual temperaments it's hard to know if two males in a tank will fight even when enough females are present. Personally I only keep multiple males in larger tanks and even then I keep a close eye on things. For quite a while I kept 2 DG males and 1 Honey male in my 220g and one of the DG males would harass the others if they got in his sights even with the tank being huge and 100% planted.

Back
Top Bottom