Dwarf gouramis - single, pairs, or trios?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kilgore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

It's been about ten years since I've kept dwarf gouramies, but as I recall the male was somewhat aggressive with the female. We have a new little male in our 25-gallon, and we adore him. When he is startled, he sticks out his stubby little feelers in opposite directions, as if they have eyeballs attached on the ends and he can see something coming better that way.

Anyhow, we would like to get him a girlfriend. Would it be better to buy 2 females and thus have a trio? My fear is that if one of the females pairs up with him, the other female would have two fishes harassing her.

I could always keep him alone, but the neons are such boring company, and he ignores the albino cories. :)

Thanks!

i'd get the trio. This would cut down aggression on a single fish, if there is any at all. It would be more spread out.

I've got 3 male dwarfs right now. I can't even find females and that's probably because they are less pleasing to the eye. They leave each other alone pretty much. If one gets too close to another one they'll have a little stand-off and that's pretty much it. I don't have any other fish besides corys in with them right now so I don't know if they'll be agressive towards other fish yet, but I'm guessing that they will be ok. If not I'll have to take them back to the store or let them have full reign of the tank.

sir_dudeguy said:
i'd get the trio. This would cut down aggression on a single fish, if there is any at all. It would be more spread out.
I agree.

Two girls it is then. I try not to ever return fish, but if one of the females gets picked on, I can always move her to one of my other tanks. Thanks for the replies.

BTW - It is very difficult to find females, because they are less colorful. But that is true for many fish species, so I think it's kind of lame on the part of fish wholesalers to limit the availability of female gouramies so much. I suppose supply and demand rules, however, and since these are frequently referred to as "beginner" fish, the assumption must be that beginners don't care about sex ratios and companionship. Too bad. :(

Back
Top Bottom