Dwarf hairgrass complete setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bcuzimbatman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently had to re start my 10 gallon aquarium after an ich outbreak. I really want to make a completely carpeted dwarf hair grass set up. These are the specs I was thinking of.

Lighting: odyssea t5 4x18w lamp

Fert: A DIY c02 setup leading into a glass diffuser, and regular weekly dosing of API leaf zone.

Substrate: bottom layer will be fluorite capped with a top layer of regular aquarium sand

Filtration: will be a standard internal 20-30 gallon filter not HOB as to not disturb the water and create unnecessary oxygen

Livestock: mainly neons and cardinals but not really important until the plant setup is perfect.

Plants: like I said I'm aiming for a DHG full carpet but I also want some bigger background plants that look bush like and I'm open for suggestions on this.

Will this setup work? Or is it a recipe for failure and another restart?

Have you already bought this yet? There might be better ways to go about this.

Also, I have serious doubts about using that much light on a 10g, with Excel, DIY CO2, or even pressurized. It's pushing it even by some reef standards.

I'm sorry I was under the impression that the more light the better. I have not bought this yet. What can I do to achieve the type of tank I want?

More light is only better if you have the CO2 to support it. Otherwise you start to invite algae.

I would recommend you look up the Dry Start Method (DSM), as DHG works great with that method. Using that, you can establish a decent portion of carpet, roots and all, before you even have water in your tank. You will need a nutrient rich substrate for that though.

What you're looking for is doable, but you need to tone down the light. 2xT5HO would be a lot. There are different fixtures out there for 10g that will give you a more appropriate level of light.

What soils would you recommend for the DSM? And wouldn't drying the dhg kill it? I will be buying it from petsmart.

It's not dry, it's "Dry". Its above water but in a very humid environment, almost boggy. This allows it to grow with essentially "infinite" CO2, so it grows fast. Plus, no algae!

Looks awesome! How bout the other plants can I grow things besides dhg tho? Like bigger plants?

DHG carpet. 10 gallon tank. Using the DSM method. I've chosen timberline top soil for the substrate

Back
Top Bottom