Dwarf Octopus DIY Nano tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently I have been Searching the Internet for something different for a single species tank, and I am very interested in a Dwarf octopus tank.

I would be starting this project from scratch, here are my initial plans...

I would like to build an acrylic 10G tank with overflow and a fully escape proof top, I have a great glass shop nearby so I would get all of the acrylic cut and assemble myself (not sure on the type of glue used for acrylic tanks as I don't want to use silicone, I want cleaner edges). I would like to drill 3 holes in the bottom of the tank so that I have no cables and pipes in the DT so that the top can be completely sealed. I plan on getting an overflow section made on the back panel with a durable mesh over the overflow grates to ensure the octopus doesn't harm itself or find it's way into the sump. I plan on two return pipes for adequate circulation. A 2-3 inch sand bed (fine dry aragonite), with a few large LR making a cave for the octopus to call home. Lighting TBD, maybe just red LEDs as they are nocturnal so I could still view it.

I would like to add a 10-15G sump with three compartments, 1) filter sock with LR rubble, 2) HOB skimmer (rated for 75-150G) and heater and UV, 3) 400-800 GPH return pump with filter pad (will be rinsed frequently). The sump would not be covered to allow for good gas exchange. Thinking possibly white & blue LED lighting (need to research), enough to sustain the LR and beneficial algae.

I will draw some diagrams of the tank and sump design and share them here tomorrow.

Once the tank has fully cycled and sustains perfect conditions I would like to add a Dwarf octopus. My first plan is to find a reliable breeder. Due to there short life span (6-12 months) i need to be sure to find a juvenile tank bred octopus. Also as they are hard to identify when they are young and I want to be sure I am getting the right species! I am still researching which species to get as I have lots of time until the tank would be ready (as it only exists in my mind right now!), I'm not rushing this project at all! I have seen some that only grow to 2-3 inches, if you know of any particular species I would be grateful. I would do 25% PWC per week or possibly even biweekly.

Also I will be researching feeding once I know the species, I would prefer to feed the octopus mainly on live foods (clams, crabs, shrimp, snails etc) but I need to look into this more. Also I plan on interacting with the octopus daily as I have read that with constant challenges and brain teasers they live a longer happier life.

I know this is a big commitment but I would be up for it, I have experience with SW fish care and am confident I can produce the perfect habitat but first I need to gain some Knowledge about the Dwarf Octopuses so that I do everything right! So any thoughts and suggestions about anything in this project will be greatly appreciated!

Definitely tagging along! I loooove octopuses. :popcorn:
Have you heard of Tonmo? It's a good cephalopod website.
Good luck!

I believe mercatoris is a good dwarf species, be careful of blue ringed octopuses. Deathly poisonous and not at all a good species to keep.

Definitely good on the large skimmer and escape-proofing the tank, as well as the red LEDs. You've been doing some reading lol. I'm far from an expert on them, but jenatron and I did tons and tons of reading about them, as we wanted to keep one as well.

:popcorn: I'm definitely along for the ride

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
Definitely tagging along! I loooove octopuses. :popcorn:
Have you heard of Tonmo? It's a good cephalopod website.
Good luck!

Thanks for the link, very helpful!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

iDreamInSaltwater said:
I believe mercatoris is a good dwarf species, be careful of blue ringed octopuses. Deathly poisonous and not at all a good species to keep.

Definitely good on the large skimmer and escape-proofing the tank, as well as the red LEDs. You've been doing some reading lol. I'm far from an expert on them, but jenatron and I did tons and tons of reading about them, as we wanted to keep one as well.

:popcorn: I'm definitely along for the ride

Sooooooo much reading! I am definitely leaning towards the O. Mercatoris octopus, I found some for sale at gulfliverock.com, however I will contact them to find out if they are captive bred as I don't want one straight form the ocean, but I still have plenty of time to find a better source.

I have sketched up some designs for the tank and will post them tomorrow to get some feedback.

Thanks

Tom

Yeah mercatoris is a good small species but I believe the are really nocturnal, as in the lights on in the room will keep them in hiding.

Either way I'd be super jealous of you!

Do they eat non live/non moving food if you were to put it in a jar?

Swimzebras said:
Do they eat non live/non moving food if you were to put it in a jar?

They can eat raw shrimp & clams etc but I would prefer to keep it fed mainly on live foods, such as snails and crabs etc, maybe even the occasional feeder fish, just because I think the more natural the better it would be for the octopus. I still need to research the feeding but that's the basics from what I gather.

Cuz it seems like itd be hard to keep a ton of mediumish sized live food on hand

Wait, also, what will you do for a CUC? Cuz won't the octopus eat everything?

Not for me, ten gal. This actually isn't my thread! I guess I'm sort of intruding, I'll try to step back a bit! Sorry

Oh haha. I thought you were who made this thread! It's fine. What you ask may be a question someone else has. And for a ten gallon... That's a tough one. Honestly no. But a serpent star and FWC's would be okay.

-Dylan

Swimzebras said:
Cuz it seems like itd be hard to keep a ton of mediumish sized live food on hand

I plan on keeping a weeks worth of live food in a rufugium that I have on my larger SW tank. I will probably alternate feeding live and dead foods every day.

Swimzebras said:
Wait, also, what will you do for a CUC? Cuz won't the octopus eat everything?

As for a CUC in the DT its likely that nothing will survive with the octopus, as it's going to be a primarily dark tank (red lights) so algae blooms should be minimal and with the strong filtration the waste from the octopus shouldn't be a problem. I have a guy that can supply me large quantities of marine snails for a great price so I plan on throwing some in every week or so to clean up, and if the octopus is well fed then some may live for a while...

The dimensions of the display tank is going to be...

12"W x 15"L x 12"T

Making approximately 9G at fill level.

The back and sides will be 3/8" black acrylic and the front will be 3/8" clear. The bottom panel will be 1/2" black arcrylic. This will eliminate a lot of light entering the tank (as this will be a dark tank).

The top will be made of 1/4" clear acrylic.

I am yet to finish the sump and plumbing plans but plan on around a 10G sump.

Dylan5359 said:
Serpent stars, dwarf octopuses might not bother.

-Dylan

Not sure about this, I would put money on the octopus eating it, though it's a good thought.

Back
Top Bottom