dwarf seahorse questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi so i would love to have dwarf seahorses. i just got a new 10g tank and have already filled it with water and sand (do i need live sand?). it was orginally going to be freshwater tank but now im in love with dwarf seahorses. here are a few of my questions:
- what brand filter would you recommend? i know they need sponge filter
- what brand salt do you recommend?
- what do i feed them when im on vacation or something?
- where would i get brine shrimp? do i have to get them online and hatch them myself?
- when i do water changes what do i use? also do i add any more salt?
- how many brine shrimp do i feed per seahorse?
- any other tips or things i should research or need to know?
thanks soo much for the help!

kathleen55 said:
hi so i would love to have dwarf seahorses. i just got a new 10g tank and have already filled it with water and sand (do i need live sand?). it was orginally going to be freshwater tank but now im in love with dwarf seahorses. here are a few of my questions:
- what brand filter would you recommend? i know they need sponge filter
- what brand salt do you recommend?
- what do i feed them when im on vacation or something?
- where would i get brine shrimp? do i have to get them online and hatch them myself?
- when i do water changes what do i use? also do i add any more salt?
- how many brine shrimp do i feed per seahorse?
- any other tips or things i should research or need to know?
thanks soo much for the help!

-I'm cycling a 5 gallon DS tank. I'm running a power filter with a sponge over the intake. It has controllable flow, it's on low. It's going great.
-Instant ocean is what I'm using.
-Pay a friend or family member.
-you would hatch the BBS, you could buy the equipment or just make it.
-you premix new saltwater. And siphon out water in the tank from the bottom. Then you add the new water.
-That's a tough question. They are little fatties! ;) Really when the tank seems like it's snowing, your good. Another reason why they say in a ten gallon you should start out with quite a couple pairs of DS's to stabilize the amount of food. You'll want to use shell-less brine shrimp eggs to prevent hydroids. You'll have to enhance the BBS a couple times a week, because it doesn't have enough nutrition for the dwarf seahorses, an algae paste or green water will suffice. I'm going to culture Copepods and feed BBM to my future dwarf seahorses.
-if you have any other questions, p.m. me. I'm cycling a 5 gallon DS tank and done A LOT of research along with reading a couple books.

*EDIT You don't need live sand. IMO live sand is a scam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom