Easiest carpet plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People on planted tank, can carpet dhg with no co2 and no excel. So with diy co2 and good lighting I would think dhg would be pretty easy to carpet. Sorted tank would be your best option with diy co2 for optimal growth.

I would not run 10k bulbs. Go for 6500-6700k you will get better growth. If you insist on a 10k then only use one and get one 6500k

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

People on planted tank, can carpet dhg with no co2 and no excel. So with diy co2 and good lighting I would think dhg would be pretty easy to carpet. Sorted tank would be your best option with diy co2 for optimal growth.

I would not run 10k bulbs. Go for 6500-6700k you will get better growth. If you insist on a 10k then only use one and get one 6500k

Oh really? I tried dhg once before and it all died... What's a sorted tank?

And I thought 10k was better since its higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To OP for easy care plants that you asked for you do not need pressurised CO2. Excel/glut or DIY is plenty.

Also the K (kelvin) rating is NOTHING to do with the power output/light emitted from a tube/LED. It has EVERYTHING to do with the 'colour' of the light. Do some simple google searches on:
1) kelvin rating
2) light spectrum
3) light spectrum used by plants

You need to have a basic understanding on these principles.

Ive not once seen you mention the wattage of your lights. This is important to anybody trying to offer you solid advice on plants.

Wattage per gallon will give you a very outdated but some what useful idea of which plants are suited to your tank. I look at it like this...

1 watt per gallon - low light
2 watt per gallon - medium light
3+ watt per gallon - high light

Now the type of light fixture you have is also important.

T8 tubes are pretty useless and give off very low light conditions

T5 tubes give out a better light source

T5 high output really kick a punch

When dealing with LED fixtures the PAR ratings are invaluable. PAR is Photosynthetic Active Radiation (amount of available useable light for photosynthesis)

So PAR and photosynthesis are now well worth researching to get an understanding

Now onto your original question. Carpeting plants GENERALLY need a better light source as they are normally at the deepest point in the tank.

There are true carpeting plants that send out runners or there are stem plants that can be trimmed and maintained as to look like a carpet.

True carpet plants you can use are:

Dwarf Sag (you already have)
Marsileu hirsuta
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Echinodorous tenellus
Pogostemon helfuri

Stem plants to keep short:

Bacopa monnieri
Staurogyne repens
Hygrophila corymbosa compakt

All carpeting plants such as DHG, glosso, baby tears will grow in low light just it will be extremely slow. Algae is likely to take over and ruin the plants though

Hopefully this has been somewhat helpful

For anything more than 29g I'd prob just go with a regular size regulator like the one Fresh has, that way you could just get a 5# or 10# tank that doesn't need to be refilled as often.

Thats been my plan! Thanks boss!

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Ok wow I have a lot of research! I have an aquarium hood on the tank.. Are there are bulbs that will fit in there are work right?

I ment dirted tank. Stupid phone :/

Two of the easiest carpeting plants I've tried are micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' and ranalisma rostrata. Both do fine in medium light with appropriate co2 and ferts. Once established they grow very quickly. If this is your first time with carpeting plants I'd recommend trying one of those, although there's nothing wrong with HC, dwarf hair grass, glosso, MM (slowww growth) and several of the other carpet plants too except some might have a slightly higher learning curve.

I'd also second the Aquatek mini paintball regulator too.

Regulator + co2 tubing and bubble counter: ~$90
Drop checker + 4dkh solution: ~$10
Co2 diffuser: ~$5
Paintball canister: ~$20
Paintball canister fill: ~$3
Total: ~$130

Hi, will the Monte Carlo grow with liquid carbon source? I have tried dwarf baby tears and they die on me. I want to get some carpeting plants and I like the Monte Carlo. Thanks!

@Skelly: do these look like echindorus tenellus to you? I've been trying to ID them for a while
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428412530.302351.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428412561.152032.jpg

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Wow these uploaded pictures are horrible.. But the iphone app keeps telling me that I've reached my quota?

Wow these uploaded pictures are horrible.. But the iphone app keeps telling me that I've reached my quota?

Use a third party image uploading site lie Photobucket. You can copy a link there and the pictures will show up.

Or you become a paying member and grey unlimited pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom