Easiest way to do PWC in 10 gal cycling tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the cycling process with both my 10 gallon tanks and was wondering the easiest safest way to do PWC? I am using a siphon and emptying the tank water into empty 1 gal water bottles so I know what percent I am taking out and able to put the conditioner into the bottled tap water prior to adding. Is that the right way? I am just really nervous about adding the water and then treating it moments later. Wouldn't the chlorine kill the bacteria I am growing?

In the cycling process with both my 10 gallon tanks and was wondering the easiest safest way to do PWC? I am using a siphon and emptying the tank water into empty 1 gal water bottles so I know what percent I am taking out and able to put the conditioner into the bottled tap water prior to adding. Is that the right way? I am just really nervous about adding the water and then treating it moments later. Wouldn't the chlorine kill the bacteria I am growing?

as long as you add the water conditioner (preferably PRIME) before you add the water to the tank, then you will have neutralized the chlorine before it gets into your tank.

I dont see why it wont work. The conditioner kills the chlorine so if you let the water sit in the jug for a few hours to let the chlorine die and the temperature to rise to the tanks.

I am so new to this its amazing how complex the simplest things can be lol. So I can't empty water from the tank, fill the gallons back up with tap, put in Prime and add it to the tank right after? Please forgive me ignorance I just don't want to take a chance of killing the bacteria by doing it the wrong way. I thought the conditioners took the chlorine out instantly?

I am so new to this its amazing how complex the simplest things can be lol. So I can't empty water from the tank, fill the gallons back up with tap, put in Prime and add it to the tank right after? Please forgive me ignorance I just don't want to take a chance of killing the bacteria by doing it the wrong way. I thought the conditioners took the chlorine out instantly?

thats exactly what you do.

I siphon mine into a 25L bucket, refill bucket with fresh water, add PRIME, add to tank. (obviously match the temperature too!)

A much easier way of doing things is take a white/opaque 5gal bucket, add 1 (or half) gallon at a time, and use a sharpie to mark graduations on the side.... or just go buy one of these:
Shop Encore Plastics 5 Gallon EZ Grip Mix N' Measure Pail at Lowes.com

I use one of these since I blend RO/DI water with pre-filtered water to maintain specific GH/KH levels.

As far as adding your conditioner, do you know if your water district uses chlorine or chloromine in your tap water?? Chlorine is very unstable and will out-gas fairly quickly, whereas chloromine is much more stable. The reason I ask is when you add your conditioner, if you don't know which you have, you should let the water sit for 10-15 minutes in case you have chloromine, since conditioners can take a little longer to neutralize it. If you're doing small pwc's, it likely won't matter at all, but if you do a large change..... It may not make a hill of beans to some people, but I believe in a safety factor.

Back
Top Bottom