east coast blackout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butters

Aquarium Advice Regular
how long to clean up crews last in uncirculsted waer? temperature is still the same 78. when ever i go buy it i swirl the water arend a bit. does tihs help or is there somehting else i should do? 8O

If possible go to a bait store and get a battery operated air pump and airstone. I imagine that stuff is at a premium right now, but you may get lucky. If that's not possible, I would have a bucket and syphon hose next to the tank, and every 1/2 hour or so, I would drain 5g and dump it back in.

If the clean up crew is the only oxygen demand on the tank, it is possible that they could last for quite some time with minimal circulation.

power came on about midnight nothing died phew heh. however my ammonia is now .50 ppm and my water is cloudy. :(

Depending on your filtration set up, I would highly recommend tossing any/all filter media that may have been sitting without water flow. Carbon, filter floss, resins and the rest. They will be completely contaminated with decaying matter. Some may be able to be rinsed well and re-used but be very careful.

This is especially important to those that use canister filters. After a few hours of being shut off, they should be discinnected from the system and thoroughly cleaned.

I would do a good size water change and possibley add a bit of ammonia binder to the water. Once the tank is back up to normal water flow, it should come into line quite quickly. Keep close tabs on things though.

Best of luck!
Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom