Eel needs to go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miesenjr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a growing problem. My eel needs be removed from my tank. I have a 180 gallon with 150 lbs live rock and he is out growing the tank. Any advice on catching him without taking all of the rock out, I am figuring not. I have put two lengths of 2" pvc pipe in to try to get him comfortable with them with hope of getting him in one and pulling him out.

Barbless hook, Thats the only way i could get my wrasse out. I tried everything. But got him with the hook. Traded him at the LFS and his doing fine. :)

I have a growing problem. My eel needs be removed from my tank. I have a 180 gallon with 150 lbs live rock and he is out growing the tank. Any advice on catching him without taking all of the rock out, I am figuring not. I have put two lengths of 2" pvc pipe in to try to get him comfortable with them with hope of getting him in one and pulling him out.

What kind of eel do you have? A snowflake?

miesenjr, named his eel as a Leopard moray eel and there be two eel is not others commonly called by this name. One happens to be the Dragon moray eel (Enchelycore pardalis) and the other is the Tesselata moray eel (Gymnothorax favagineus) which other attach name is the Laced Moray or Honeycomb moray. If your eel is either eel at three feet, your a but more work if you not know what your doing in getting other the Tesselata.

The problem be is, your no normal aquarium net that can handle this eel size and weight and the idea of using PVC pipe in order to trap him will also not work, as is, if your eel is 3', it as well has a wight a bit wider then that of a soda can. Your down to just two options here in getting this eel out, one is buying a much larger stronger net in which afterwards you can throw it away for you have no further need for it, or you corner it in your tank and grab him about the neck area and midsection to remove him by hand. But remember, this eel is extremely strong, so you must be ready for it too struggle against your removing it from your tank.

Also, no pail will hold this eel, you will need to get a large form with box from your lfs were you will take the eel. If you had mention your eel by its proper name, i would had told you what a monster you have there. The other problem been, you not nearly feed this eel enough, so it will prey on other fish you placed in your tank.

In any next idea of housing eels with other fish, you first would need to research the idea if it be more manageable or not, eels in general only have two known enemies, Groupers and other Eels. But of course, even a number of sting rays feed on eels as well, but you will not be housing such a ray that could do so.

On the net, I know of no place were you can buy so strong enough net to remove this eel, perhaps you should check with pond equipment dept. Me, I save the money and remove it by hand, if your afraid, ask if your lfs if they can help you or know someone who might help as well. But if you try this yourself, you should lower the water line in this tank, this eel can move fast and be out on your floor before your a chance to act, and be aware that these eels can move backwards as fast as they swim forward.

Buddy

Back
Top Bottom