Eheim 2215 media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TML182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys just got my self an Eheim 2215 canister filter and so far am loving it :) just wondering which media is advisable to use? I asked my LFS and they told me to simply use the white filter pad, the carbon pad and the bio balls does that sound about right or is there something I'm missing?
Thanks!

Hey guys just got my self an Eheim 2215 canister filter and so far am loving it :) just wondering which media is advisable to use? I asked my LFS and they told me to simply use the white filter pad, the carbon pad and the bio balls does that sound about right or is there something I'm missing?
Thanks!

Nah dude, I have the same filter.. it's kick a$$.. there is nothing you need to change unless a) you're having water quality issues or b) (like me) I found that after a few months that my media had compacted a fair bit and there was a fair bit of room at the top of the filter.

I added some simple cheap while media from a local store. Word of advice though, don't add synthetic (fake) cotton media that easily pulls away.. not a big issue but I noticed bits of synthetic media floating around in my tank, which isnt so much of an issue as the idea it could get in the filter ceramic turbine.

I just bought some after market carbon packs to put inside, too, just to get as much of the dissolved waste collected as is possible. I hear that carbon doesn't last all that long, however, I have had great success with it as filter media in the past.

I use quilt batting, and cut it to the right shape. It is basically the "synthetic (fake) cotton media" mentioned by Aussie, but it's been needled together so it is not loose and prone to flying around by itself. I would be VERY agravated to find that stuff messing up my impeller.

If you go with any sort of "substitute" media, be sure you get 100% polyester with NO mildew or fire retardant additives. There is a brand called "Nu-Foam" that I have used with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom