Electric yellow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eternal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 6 electric yellow cichlids I got em when they were fries and they are about 1 1/2 inches right now and I have a couple of questions as I don't know much about em. First I would like to know how can I tell if it's a male and a female I have heard about the white spots on their fins but I don't know. Second I want to know if they are hard to breed and how soon do they start breeding. That's all I'm concerned about right now.

Sexing is sometime difficult without venting them. I have 13 labs and a couple of the ones I thought were males were found holding later.

As far as breeding they generally start around 2.5in but the smaller they are the fewer fry they will carry.

Labidochromis caeruleus

You'll have a hard time keeping them from breeding if you have males and females. They're kind of like guppies. Just make sure you've got plenty of rocks for them to hide in, and a big enough tank (55g+) so they have plenty of room to swim. A good quality food like New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula will really make them grow in to healthy fish, and they'll do so much quicker than with lower quality foods you typically find in stores like petsmart.

Back
Top Bottom