Electricity use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwilk20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hope this does not sound stupid - A 96w pc uses up 96w of electricity? Or, does it produce 96w of light but uses like 30w?

The reason I ask is because at Home Depot the spiral flourescents use 19w but produce 75w light output. :roll:

Thanks,

Paul.

Those are equivalents.

For example a 19W PC produces the same or more lumens than a 75W incandescant bulb. Watts=consumption.

IME, PC bulbs are apprx 1.5X brighter watt for watt than VHO.

Ok, so my hood consists of three 96w PC, 288w total. So when I calculate my electric consumption, I am using 288w per hour? Right?

Paul.

Make sure when you use the electricity calculator that your get the information off your electric bill and don't just assume the value is the .10KWH average that the calculator uses. Our electric company charges .0035KWH Which makes my monthly bill for 560 watts only 78 cents compared to the $20.00 figure using the default .10KWH

Brisc0 said:
Make sure when you use the electricity calculator that your get the information off your electric bill and don't just assume the value is the .10KWH average that the calculator uses. Our electric company charges .0035KWH Which makes my monthly bill for 560 watts only 78 cents compared to the $20.00 figure using the default .10KWH

Wow! .0035KWH :!: My company charges .16KWH :!: That`s why I am concerned with electric usage. Based on my calculations the tank will be costing me $440 a year.

Paul.

well, get this! I live right outside Buffalo, NY, relatively close to Niagara Falls, the hydroelectric capital of the US. So you would think that we get some pretty cheap electricity around here. Not even close. Some politician a long time ago, decided that all this electricity from the falls would be wired down to NYC. The line losses alone over this distance are enough to power all of western New York. So bottom line is that we pay .12/KWH so the NYC area gets their electricity cheaper than it should be.
:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
Jim

Well, this got me thinking.... Solar power?

Has anyone tried some solar-panels on their roofs? I heard of them but don`t really know much about it :( .

Paul.

I live in springfield, MO a relatively small town (under 300K) and we brew up all our own power. One of the cheapiest places for power in the country. There is talk of putting in a second plant to lower it even more. I had no idea rates in other place were so expensive. I really feel lucky now.

I just performed a quick search on solar power, those things are expensive! Residential kits go from ~$6000 to $50,000+ :!: :!: 8O

Guess I`ll have to strap my hampster onto his excersice wheel - probably create a couple of watts. Given enough hampsters, I might generate enough power for one of my powerheads. :lol: :p

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom