Elodea question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmeister

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum but i have what may be a silly question to some. (dont let the name fool you, i am fairly new to the aquarium world). My elodea seem to be growing what looks like strands from the new leaves. I was wondering if this is a good thing. Are these root strands? I had a small breakout of snails and wondered if they may have caused this and if so should i cut them off. Thanks for any and all help.

They are roots and cause no harm. But if you ask me the snails did it. :roll:

Thank you for the welcome Tank Girl. I wanted a new hobby and decided on Aquaria. I am officially hooked and finding out that there is a lot to learn! I have been lurking for about 2 months and have found very useful advice in this forum regarding lighting (just got my second 55W kits from ahsupply). Things are going well so far although I am battling a bout of blue green algae. I have reduced the light time to 10 - 12 hours and I'm hoping this will help.

I usually go through a short spate of blue green algae in my tanks not too long after the diatoms abate, relatively soon after setup, then it goes away. I don't know if this is how it goes for others, but upping the water changes helps as well.

There is always something to learn, and as you learn there are folks two steps behind you, so you will have something to teach. It is a very nice community here, so I hope you will find it as hepful as I have.

Back
Top Bottom