Emergency help needed my discus's aren't moving! :(:(:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would just make sure the fish get plenty of water flow. So like position them so the filter water goes through there gills or something.

AddictedtoFishNoW said:
Left them in the plastic bag in for 15 minutes to get use to the temperature then I transferred them using a fish net in

There's your problem (in addition to a couple other things). Discus are one of the most sensitive freshwater fish in the hobby, and need to be introduced properly into a suitable home. All due respect...but please research different aspects of fish keeping from here on out. A bit of reading on cycling, appropriate water parameters, the requirements of different species, acclimating, etc... would have avoided all the different challenges and problems you've faced since you first got into the hobby. I think you'll need to chalk this up to lesson learned, and use these experiences to make you a better aquariast in the future. I don't know personally of any cures for not properly acclimating sensitive fish, and also the additional stress caused after. All I can do is hope they bounce back.

Last edited:
Thanks your the advice..and for the correct information I have done my research Mr.Eco, and I was always told this is the best way to transfer fish..was I told the wrong false information? I also had tested the water parameters and I posted earlier the test results that car back with 0 Ppm of both ammonia and nitrite and also .and for ph 7.3-7.4 with finally nitrate of around 15-20 ppm using the api master kit with temps at the 80-83 range. Also with ideal decor..I used prime for my small pwc and a small dap of salt

Not wanting to butt in, but for sensitive fish drip accumulation might be better.

The temp and parameters at the petstore are different than your tank, floating them might adjust the temperature but only if left long enough. There's still pH and the actual nitrates or salinity of the petstores tank. Floating them doesn't let them adjust to those type of things, so they basically were shocked as they were dropped into a different type of water.

AddictedtoFishNoW said:
Thanks your the advice..and for the correct information I have done my research Mr.Eco, and I was always told this is the best way to transfer fish..was I told the wrong false information? I also had tested the water parameters and I posted earlier the test results that car back with 0 Ppm of both ammonia and nitrite and also .and for ph 7.3-7.4 with finally nitrate of around 15-20 ppm using the api master kit with temps at the 80-83 range. Also with ideal decor..I used prime for my small pwc and a small dap of salt

Discus are about as sensitive as they come for freshwater fish. Lots of research and understanding must be done to successfully keep them.

Proper acclimation is important for all fish, especially ones as notoriously difficult to keep as Discus. I personally drip acclimate every single fish that is moved to my aquarium. I can virtually guarantee you the shock of not being properly acclimated is what damaged them. Here's an article on it-
http://houseofpetsinc.com/nws/Education/GeneralAquariumInfo/acclimatingfish.asp

With sensitive fish, it's not only about ammonia and nitrIte. While nitrAte is much less toxic than the others...more delicate fish do not do well with higher levels. At or below 20ppm may be safe for some...but for fish like GBR's or Discus I would keep them at an absolute minimal level. I doubt the nitrAte is what cause this particular issue though because that is more of a long term process.

GH, kH and pH also play a huge roll with Discus. Many (if not most) hobbyists use a mix of RO water to provide the proper hardness, alkalinity and pH levels that these particular fish require. They definitely have particular needs compared to other fish.

I understand you've spoken with people about topics...but research should involve gathering opinions from different sources and finding a consesus. Acclimating fish properly should be fish keeping 101 when it comes to Discus.

I'm not trying to beat you up about this...but again, with a bit more time reading up about what it takes to successfully keep an aquarium...you could have avoided your toxin spike issues in the other tank, you could have avoided spending money on unnecessary chemicals you purchased, you could have solved the problems in the cycling tank by providing media from this tank to the other, and you could have prevented what is happening right now. Like I said, unfortunately it's a hard lesson learned...and often times fish like Discus come with no guarantee...so it may be a financial lesson learned as well.

Back
Top Bottom