Emergency!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
K so my filter strainer piece fell off and my turtle got partially stuck in it. Now his shell is mishaped after I pulled him free. All the animal clinics are closed and there's not an emergency hospital near me. If anyone has knowledge of if his shell will recover or if he will be fine let me know. I think he knock it off himself then got pulled into it. Please help!

Quick update the turtle shell is back to normal and he is swimming around fine. Now I'm worried cuz his shell may be soft but he has a calcium supplement and 2 UVB lights. Or are baby turtles shells just more pliable until they are older? I'm still goin to take him to the vet ASAP but I thought I'd throw out more concerns and update.

Wow, never heard of a turtle getting its shell deformed. Their shell is like a cinder block. Is it a juvenile?

If its a baby then it is pliable, but the shape could cause some future problems if it grows into that shape.

*If the turtle grows to fit into the deformed shell then it may have future consequences. Maybe you'll get lucky and he or she will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya its still pliable. good news tho the shell is 100% back to normal and hes back to his old self! im glad i found him before he drowned tho. i have officially fixed the problem of the filter so it never happens again!

American snapping turtles have a softer shell than most types of turtles, as you saw. Awesome little guy there, I kept one for a year in a small tank. Unfortunately they do get big quickly, especially when they get lots of food and they produce a huge amount of waste.

Wy Renegade said:
American snapping turtles have a softer shell than most types of turtles, as you saw. Awesome little guy there, I kept one for a year in a small tank. Unfortunately they do get big quickly, especially when they get lots of food and they produce a huge amount of waste.

He is actually a ouachita map turtle. But yes the shells are soft. I'm just glad he is ok.

Yes. Most turtle species are born with soft and pliable shells, thats why a UVB bulb is crucial, bc it supplies them with vitamin d3 which helps synthesize absorbable calcium, in turn hardening their shell ;)

Freakgecko91 said:
Yes. Most turtle species are born with soft and pliable shells, thats why a UVB bulb is crucial, bc it supplies them with vitamin d3 which helps synthesize absorbable calcium, in turn hardening their shell ;)

Ya I have two UVB lights on the turtles actually. One on basking area and one shining into the tank. Wats a good food that has alot of calcium. I have a cuttle bone and some kind of powder as well but I don't think they munch of the bone and the powder washes off in the water. Any live foods?

Try looking up "Phoenix worms", I believe they're high in calcium and most reptiles like them. Silkworms are another one. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you are feeding pellets, but live insects and certain veggies (depending on the species and age) never hurt by any means, plus they help keep the turtles mind healthy :)

Freakgecko91 said:
Try looking up "Phoenix worms", I believe they're high in calcium and most reptiles like them. Silkworms are another one. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you are feeding pellets, but live insects and certain veggies (depending on the species and age) never hurt by any means, plus they help keep the turtles mind healthy :)

Thanks for the advice I'll look those up!

No problem! Map turtles are omnivorous, yet quite carnivorous. Just stay away from rosy red feeder fish, and gold fish. Both ad usually quite disease ridden. Guppies aren't as bad an are good occasionally to stimulate their mind through natural hunting behavior. Ghost shimp are loved by maps !

Freakgecko91 said:
No problem! Map turtles are omnivorous, yet quite carnivorous. Just stay away from rosy red feeder fish, and gold fish. Both ad usually quite disease ridden. Guppies aren't as bad an are good occasionally to stimulate their mind through natural hunting behavior. Ghost shimp are loved by maps !

How are platties for feeders?

They could work, just make sure to offer a varied diet, pellets and some live food usually works, and I think some veggies too, but a google search could help clear that up

Back
Top Bottom