End Of Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hdlorider93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok my tank cycled and thought i was ready to go to stock the tank. I did a 90% water change and turned my heater back down. I tested the water this morning just to make sure i was good to go and it appears my nitrites are off the charts, my ammo is 0ppm my ph is 7.8. Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks

Hi, so I''m assuming you did a fishless cycle with ammonia? Did you ever get nitrites before and did they go to 0 on their own? If so how long were they at 0 consistently? Once ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 you want to keep dosing and checking for a week or so before adding fish just to be sure nothing spikes. Also did you test your tap water for nitrite? If nitrite is back up I wouldn't add fish yet. If your tap has 0 nitrite and they are now off-chart I would do at least a 50% water change to get them down to a readable level on the chart and then keep dosing ammonia (maybe just to 2 ppm) for a few days and see what happens. Also what test kit are you using?

Sorry yes a fishless cycle. I have been turning 4.0 ppm of ammonia in a 24 hour period for almost a week now. I was getting 0 ppm readings for the ammonia and nitrites using the api test kit, and for some odd reason my nitrites spiked up

Holy Cow, this problem has been bothering me all day so i came home from work early and did a 50% water change, then i tested the tap water and it's showing i have nitrites in my tap water........what the heck do i do about that?

Back
Top Bottom