Endler Guppy Hybridization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are several N-class endlers available. I'm not sure how the availability in your area is. But if I read your remark that you've found some after 2 years, it surely must be rare in your area.

I'll mention some:

Blue star, rio oro, limegreen, red chest, orchid, el tigre, yellow top sword, flametail, center peacock, black bar (there are also a lot of K-class black bar available), staeck, and so on...
Btw, the staeck endler is a discussable topic right now. It's been classified poecilia wingei (= pure endler) for years but there might be a chance that they should be determined beinf poecilia reticulata ( = guppy). I had the pleasure to meet up with Dr. Wolfgang Staeck which this fish is named after last year in Berlin. But he also claims this to be poecilia wingei and not poecilia reticulata. Anyways, whatever it may be, it sure is a beautiful fish...

just my opinion, but if someone such as istrom has tried to breed endlers w/o success and chose to cross breed w/ guppies why is it such an issue to some people.. some of the comments come across as though its not 'good enough'. personally i feel that if the person breeding is trying to breed pure endlers in this case and had no luck, decided to see what he could create w/ a guppy. i dont know much about fish but i would think some of the most beautiful and unique fish have come about this way. I think what he has created by mixing the 2 is beautiful, the tail fin is wild and unique. I would not call that a feeder fish, but i wouldnt call anything a feeder unless its dead beforehand. i also think its mean to toss fish in a tank only to get eaten w/ Zero chance of survival. The wild is different this is a hobby and we are supposed to care about our fish as pets and a hobby... Istrom, i say keep it going, you may end up with the most beautiful fish and some people will bite their tongue for insulting you by calling it a feeder.. i would love to be able to breed my fish but have no luck, given the chance i would 1- breed angels, and then next best would be to choose a couple lovely fish and cross breed them and have something very unique and special... just saying guys, not to be rude by any means but unless breeding fish is your 'food on the table' or income for those who dont follow me, then why not have fun w/ the hobby and be creative.???

I totally agree with you, Amy...
It's also totally up to the person him-/herself to crossbreed. Breeding pure of hybrid strains or just a random hybridization shouldn't be an issue. I myself am breeding pure and hybrid strains.
For those who don't realize it, lots of fish which we call freshwater aquariumfish are linebred as being a natural mutation strain or a hybrid strain. And yes, there are also lots of fish which are still the phenotypes as the wild ones.
If someone calls a fish a feeder than someone must know when a fish is called a feeder. If you know what I mean by this...

Everyone should decide for themselves wether they're wanna breed pure strains or hybrids. There's no right and no wrong within this topic! So, please don't judge anyone by someone's choice...

just my opinion, but if someone such as istrom has tried to breed endlers w/o success and chose to cross breed w/ guppies why is it such an issue to some people.. some of the comments come across as though its not 'good enough'. personally i feel that if the person breeding is trying to breed pure endlers in this case and had no luck, decided to see what he could create w/ a guppy. i dont know much about fish but i would think some of the most beautiful and unique fish have come about this way. I think what he has created by mixing the 2 is beautiful, the tail fin is wild and unique. I would not call that a feeder fish, but i wouldnt call anything a feeder unless its dead beforehand. i also think its mean to toss fish in a tank only to get eaten w/ Zero chance of survival. The wild is different this is a hobby and we are supposed to care about our fish as pets and a hobby... Istrom, i say keep it going, you may end up with the most beautiful fish and some people will bite their tongue for insulting you by calling it a feeder.. i would love to be able to breed my fish but have no luck, given the chance i would 1- breed angels, and then next best would be to choose a couple lovely fish and cross breed them and have something very unique and special... just saying guys, not to be rude by any means but unless breeding fish is your 'food on the table' or income for those who dont follow me, then why not have fun w/ the hobby and be creative.???

Thanks Amy :) I do plan on keeping it going. But for now I can't focus in on that since my breeding tank is full of 200+ baby zebra danios XD

However I would like to touch on the angelfish topic...
Angels are beautiful fish and are very unique. I personally own 6, 4 Pearscale, and 2 Koi. Unfortunately the Pearlscales for sick about 1-2 weeks ago so I started dosing the tank with Rid-Ick Plus. I had only had these angels for a few days at this point. The second day after I started dosing a pair of them had laid eggs.

This shows how easy angels are to breed and how easy they are to care for.

So in conclusion:

Go for it and try breeding angels :) They're great fish and they protect their eggs as well, so you don't need to worry as much about taking care of the fry for them!

Thanks Amy :) I do plan on keeping it going. But for now I can't focus in on that since my breeding tank is full of 200+ baby zebra danios XD

However I would like to touch on the angelfish topic...
Angels are beautiful fish and are very unique. I personally own 6, 4 Pearscale, and 2 Koi. Unfortunately the Pearlscales for sick about 1-2 weeks ago so I started dosing the tank with Rid-Ick Plus. I had only had these angels for a few days at this point. The second day after I started dosing a pair of them had laid eggs.

This shows how easy angels are to breed and how easy they are to care for.

So in conclusion:

Go for it and try breeding angels :) They're great fish and they protect their eggs as well, so you don't need to worry as much about taking care of the fry for them!

Wow, I have very bad luck when it comes to breeding. I have been at this hobby since April/May and a few weeks ago i had found a few guppy fry which are now all dead. other than that, if you recall i was losing guppies like crazy, i went with some endlers and now have endlers, guppies, balloon mollies, and black mollies. and have not a single fry.. my other tank i had 4 angels, lost 1 and got 4 more so i now have 7 but 1 i got today is dying. 3 of them are small 2 size of a quarter and 1 size of dime, and the other 3 are like half dollar size. i know 2 of them are def koi angels, then i have a solid black, a marble mostly cobalt blue w/ some white, then i have a 2 color so not really a koi but the yellow and cream color, and the baby is the traditional white w/ black stripes.. LOL... i have allot to learn. i would like to get a piece of slate to put in the tank. i have a lovely piece of driftwood and am just starting with plants so they are not full yet... lets see if i have a picture to share. i would be so proud if i can get babies from the angels, gosh id be happy with guppy fry success at this point...
it must really bum you out that mama died right after she dropped the eggs though.

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg