Equipment and nitrogen cycle (beginner)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lola

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm new to aquariums and I have a few questions about the right equipment and the nitrogen cycle. First, I have to buy some items for my aquarium: 100 watt water heater, timer for the lights and a water test. Do you have favorite brands or advice to give me to help me in my shopping? Second, I was wondering if during the nitrogen cycle I should pretend there were fish. (change of water, food, turn on the water heater ...) Thank you.

What are your goals with the tank?

What size tank? That will determine the size of heater you'll want.

What type of filter? Inline heaters can work on canister filters.

I would buy an electronic wall outlet timers for the lights, they are much more forgiving in a power outage situation (they will hold their settings, and are dead silent - the mechanical ones make some sound).

Brands that I like:

Filters - Aquaclear for hang on back, Eheim for canister
Heaters - I only use inline Hydor heaters, if not I would look up a titanium heater with a secluded temp control option.

For the N cycle, it depends if the tank is planted or not.

API is a good starter kit for the cycle, after that you'll only really use the NO3 and pH tests and the odd time, the ammonia test. A $20 pH pen from amazon is a very good investment. Make sure it comes with calibration fluid.

API kH / gH liquid kit is also a very handy tool to help understand your water.

Hello, thank you for your answer. :) In my aquarium I will have 4 male guppies. (because I don't want to have overcrowding) I want to learn new things. My aquarium is 75L and it will be well planted with easy plants. My filter is "Marina Slim S20"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom