Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tap-80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been doing research but I have no clue what kind of equipment to get. I know about 700 to 800gph but what brand? From return pump, power heads, protein Skimmer, lights. So many options and not a big check book. I'm going to get a 55 reef tank. I have a 29 long I'm going to use as a sump/refug. Please help

I've been doing research but I have no clue what kind of equipment to get. I know about 700 to 800gph but what brand? From return pump, power heads, protein Skimmer, lights. So many options and not a big check book. I'm going to get a 55 reef tank. I have a 29 long I'm going to use as a sump/refug. Please help
For cheaper equipment look into maxijet pro powerheads, a hydor slim skim skimmer, mag drive return pumps, and lights depend on what you want to keep. Corals? Sps, lps or softies? Etc.

I want to go on the cheaper side but not if its no good. I'm wanting to do a mixed reef but to start I know I'm only going to do Fowler and let the tank do its thing for at least six months to a year.

I want to go on the cheaper side but not if its no good. I'm wanting to do a mixed reef but to start I know I'm only going to do Fowler and let the tank do its thing for at least six months to a year.
All of the equipment I just put on there is good reliable equipment. I'd go with koralia evos for powerheads. And go with two 120watt dimmable led fixtures for lighting for a future reef. No bulb changes and lower power bills and you'll be able to grow anything you want with that setup. Maybe get a reef octopus skimmer for the sump instead of the hydor

Thanks. I know I still have to do a lot of research. I'm about tried of doing research and ready to build but I know to take it slow.

Thanks. I know I still have to do a lot of research. I'm about tried of doing research and ready to build but I know to take it slow.
It takes time to build a successful tank. Get the proper equipment for your plans and know that nothing good happens fast in marine aquariums.

LOL. I think they're about there. There's some nights I'm up till two to three in the morning looking then I have a five year old that likes to get up at six. That sucks

Back
Top Bottom