Eric's 90 gallon reef build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you provide more details on the plumbing for the sump? Did you get your stuff at HD or Lowes?

All of my supplies were from Home Depot except the silicon for my baffles, my lock line and strainer for the drain, that was from my LFS. Are there any specifics you want more info on about the plumbing.

What size ball joint valves did you use? Did you use a check valve? What size return pump?

What size ball joint valves did you use? Did you use a check valve? What size return pump?

Sorry for the delay, I used 1 inch ball valves. All the PVC is 1" and the abs is 1&1/2". I didn't use any check valves, the sump water level is about 6" below the top of the tank, when my pump is off the dt drains about an inch and fills it up a bit but it doesn't overflow. One of my returns is an inch below the surface so that breaks the siphon. I used an ocean runner 3500 which is about 950gph for my return. I divert a small amount of that through carbon but the overflow can handle all of the flow since there is plenty of head loss.

I added my first new coral today, it is my first sps so I'm pretty excited. It is an ORA red planet.
I also picked up the tiger pistol shrimp. He went to the exact location I wanted :).
My royal gramma is also in the dt as of today, he just went in and hid so no pictures. I'm going to go to my other LFS to try and find a goby to pair up with my pistol since the LFS I went to tonight didn't have any after the sale. More coral to come soon I hope.

I picked up a new temporary resident for my qt. I got a yellow watchman goby to hopefully pair up with my pistol shrimp. here he is.

Hope they find each other and pair up! They dont always but its pretty cool when they do. Nice looking goby and shrimp.

I hope they do too. I fed my goby some chopped table shrimp today and gave a chunk to my pistol in the dt. The goby went straight for it, the pistol didn't see it right away, I hope he finds it before the hermits do.

Yeah, glued a short piece on then went straight to a threaded adapter. Then I put my ball valves so I can isolate my tank from my sump if needed. After that valves I put unions so I can remove plumbing if needed.

in all honesty, I don't see the need for ball valves and check valves in plumbing (unless we are talking several hundred gallons). other than 2 unions, 1 on each return, my plumbing is straight through. even if I unplug my return pump, my sump only fills up about halfway, so theres no danger of backflow actually flooding over.

I agree. Check valves are not needed at all if the sump is built properly so if power fails there is no chance of flooding. This is a better design in my opinion since check valves can fail. I put the ball valves in for one reason, my tank can run at its full level without the sump if needed. I also plan on doing a water change by shutting my ball valves then turning the pump off. I will then disconnect a union and connect a tube to it (with another union piece) and let the water flow out of the dt into a drain, this should be about 10 gallons(10%). While that is happening I can put 10 gallons in my sump then hook it back up and be done. I don't have all the supplies yet but I will document it when I get to it if it works.

+1 on the modular plumbing. im planning on doing something similar here soon. like I said before, I feel the only time theres a need for them is in a permanent setup larger tank, for instance a 300-400g reef.

Did you prime the PVC that went into your bulkheads prior to using the transition PVC to ABS glue?

Did you prime the PVC that went into your bulkheads prior to using the transition PVC to ABS glue?

I don't believe it has a primer for that cement. I just followed the directions, I can't quite remember it's been a while.

Does anyone know much about royal grammas. Mine hides in his spot and only darts out to grab food that floats by. Is this HO he will be or is he still getting used to the tank. If so, how long should I expect him to be shy?

personally, mine was shy and exhibited the same type of behavior for prob the first week or so. now that ive had him several weeks he usually hangs out in open water, but still sticks close to the rocks. which can be expected. grammas are a smaller fish that dont really have much in the way of defensive capabilities.

My black cap is very shy but eats like a hog. I think this behavior is normal for this family of fish.

Did you get your baffles for your sump at a glass store? What thickness did you use?

Did you get your baffles for your sump at a glass store? What thickness did you use?

I went the cheap easy rout and used acrylic. It's not as good of a bond so I made sure to get the silicon on there good. I figure if it ever comes undone it will give me a good excuse to tear the sump down and clean it out. I believe I used the 1/4 inch acrylic.

Back
Top Bottom