Eric's 90 gallon reef build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More building fun today... I added a section to the stand so now I have a 20 high tank under my DT for qt/hospital.
img_2684811_0_b0e8632651082938830ebabdebed143f.jpg

On the top of my new section will be a pico sexy shrimp/nem tank that I will plumb into my main system.

I started working on the exterior of my stand. I had planned on having water in before this step but my wife doesn't eat the tank out in the final location until it is painted. I am facing all of my 2x4s with pine to make it look as nice as possible. This is what I have so far...
img_2694474_0_09a097d86036bf0617294a808a9e214d.jpg

That looks deluxe. It's fun and rewarding to build your own equipment.

I did mine in oak years ago. The top pumps up with hydraulics and opens like the top of a beer stein.

Attachments

• image-1066238340.jpg
    image-1066238340.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 189
  • image-2449853126.jpg
    image-2449853126.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 193
I have made more progress on the stand. I have finished facing the stand and have 2 coats of primer on it. All I need to do is build 3 doors and the top where my nano will be and get it all painted and installed then its water time. I hope to have water in within two weeks. Then I can start hypo on my fish in my new qt and get this tank going. I am beyond excited.
img_2701314_0_397460c18ee0c6c9ccf67558ac8bb6cb.jpg

I am toying with the idea of putting a glass panel on the front in the small opening so I can see my qt. for now it is just going to have a removable black panel. I may keep it so I can switch them out so I don't have to look at an empty qt ever.

It's been a while since much has changed. I finally got the stand finished and moved the tank out into the main room, months after I had hoped. I have water covering my sand and will be filling the whole tank slowly for a week I think, 5 gallons at a time. I am excited for it all to come together. Here is a pic.
img_2725687_0_663dc887c90b4b6c3d522a8a1d0ebf79.jpg

I still need to finish the top of the stand for my pico but I am in no hurry since I don't have it yet.

If my RO filter truly runs at 75 GPD I will have my dt full by the end of the night. Then it's just filling the sump and QT tomorrow and I will be fully operational. I'm not quite sure what my cycle will be like, I have ~ 70 lbs of dry rock and will be adding ~10 more and will be moving ~ established live rock over as well. Should I move some of my chaeto from my other tank into my fuge during the cycle?

As I suspected, it is not truly 75 GPD. I will have the tank and sump full by tonight. I can't wait to see how everything works. I am a bit anxious since it is my first sump and I did all of the plumbing myself.

I am up and running!

Here she is.
img_2735544_0_3d45620927c2f9f56c4f66934e9af15a.jpg

I have a bit of tweaking to do where my water enters the sump to cut down on noise and bubbles but it runs great and is pretty quiet. I checked my ammonia and it is at .25. I am thinking I may just move a small amount of LR from my 29 because I really like the rock scape in both right now and don't want to mess with either. I am thinking of moving some chaeto to my sump, is this too soon. I am also going to move my filter media to the 90 to get the bacteria up in the tank. I think I will be able to get a pretty short cycle.

During the week my ammonia spiked to around .5 ppm. It has now dropped to ~0, I ran out to the LFS and bought the beginning of my CUC. I now have 8 hermits in my tank.
img_2744110_0_c3402a81cc4c1bdd10750747fe6f4e88.jpg

Some cute little guys...
I plan on letting them do their thing for a few weeks and keep them fed to be an ammonia source for my tank. I want to make sure everything stabilizes before I try adding anything.

All of my hermit crabs are doing great. My chaeto is showing some good growth. I have filled my QT with water and it has been running for a week. I am thinking it is time to get my first fish in QT, I am leaning towards a royal gramma. Are these pretty good for a reef tank first fish? After I add my first I will begin moving over my current fish then coral once I finish up all my lighting and let the tank mature a bit. I will either buy a fish this week or next depending on my QT levels. I was thinking of getting one of those ammonia level warning things in the link below, do they work pretty well?http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000255R5G

Tested my ammonia at 0 today:). I also got one of my LED panels wired and hung and I am pleased with how it will look once I get both panels on. I currently only have control over whites and blues but once I get the other panel I will have control of white, blue, red and green. Here it is with the LEDs.
img_2755289_0_cbfcd26dc4faf2753f30c74803ead061.jpg

Looks great. :)

Thanks. My QT is cycled, I think I may pick up a royal gramma soon. What are everyone's thoughts on qt vs. treat right away. I am torn between just observing for a month or treating with hypo starting right away.

I'd stick with observance for now. If you see anything wrong THEN treat. Silly to treat for something that might not even exist and stress the fish possibly.

Back
Top Bottom