Esmerelda, my new angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_love

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last week I added a beautiful little black veiled angelfish to my tank, and not knowing if it is male or female, i just gave it a girl name. Her body is about 1/2" long and 1/4" tall without taking her fins into account, with them I'd say she is almost 1.5" long and 1.5" tall. My question is, how long will I be able to keep her in my 20gal tank before her habitat needs to be upgraded?
My tank currently stocks:
1 black male sailfin molly "3"
1 dalmation female molly ~3"
4 black molly fry from November ~1"
2 cremecicle lyretail mollies ~1.5"
1 pink glofish danio ~1"
2 red wag platies ~1.5"
2 dwarf male guarami ~3"
1 chinese algae eater ~3"
2 mystery snails (1 gold, 1 black)
and now
1 black veiled angelfish ~1"
2 african dwarf frogs ~1/2"

I know just about everyone despises CAE and I know he will get huge but I have planned on moving him to another home when he either grows too large or becomes aggressive towards the other fish. I didn't know much about them when I got him and he does a wonderful job of keeping my tank algae-free.
Also, the fry are soon going to new homes as well, I have some friends who think they are cute and have wanted them since they where twitchy little things, just waiting for them to get big enough not to die during their move.
My tank is cycled and has had steady parameters for months. I have a 90gal/hr filter and all of my fish are energetic and healthy. I do about a 30% water change weekly as well.
I know my angelfish will grow much larger and I plan to purchase a larger tank (40+gal) for her and was wondering how much time I have before that bigger tank is necessary and what tank mates would be good for her when she is bigger?

Thank you for any information you feel will help me best care for little Esmerelda :)

Attachments

• IMAG0397.jpg
    IMAG0397.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0393.jpg
    IMAG0393.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0395.jpg
    IMAG0395.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 69
First off, I would say that your tank isn't stocked very well. I have heard that keeping gouramis and angel fish is not a good idea. Also keeping two males together with no females will not end well for one or both of the gouramis.
For stocking, I would change it to this:

5 platies ~1.5"
1dwarf male guarami ~3"
2 mystery snails (1 gold, 1 black)
1 black veiled angelfish ~1"
1 BN Pleco or 3 SAE
4 GloFish Danios

Reason being:
1. Mollies are brackish water fish. They SURVIVE in freshwater and Salwater, but THRIVE in brackish
2. CAE yes, will indeed get huge and agressive. Fish can spnap. One minute the are friendly, next minute they have killed everything in the tank. It would be best to re-home him before that happens.

Now, you could add some more platys, and, if you really want to keep the glo fish danio, bump up the shoal to 4.

I would say you should upgrade to a tank that is tall and deep. A 40 breeder size would be okay, but a 55 gallon even better.

Thanks so much for your replies.
I was thinking about getting a bn pleco after my cae is re-homed, but do they bother angels? Because clearly he would need to be in the upgraded tank being a pleco and all. Might be getting rid of the cae soon but wouldn't get the pleco until I get the larger tank. I found a 44gal tall hexagonal I think would be great for the angelfish and maybe a pleco?
My mollies were the first fish I bought and they survived learning about cycling with me so I can't bring myself to give them up.
Also, my 2 male gourami have been best friends since I've had themm not one tussle ever. The bigger of the 2 even defended the smaller one so he could eat when he had a few sketchy days a little while back when he hurt himself on a decoration and couldn't quite swim correctly. They always swim together and tease my dog when she is watching the tank. Clearly, I'm quite attached to them as well. Will they become aggressive later on in life? Because I was told they are both mature males when I got them.
And the little GloFish is my sisters, she had 3 but 2 became extremely thin and died off a week after she got them (the petstore said that it was probably genetic), so she is a left over and in my tank since she got a betta. The GloFish seems to like schooling with the Molly fry though since they're almost her size, I might give her away with them so she won't be lonely.
If I were overstocked wouldn't that cause my water measurements to be going haywire? They have been steady and my fish aren't acting stressed. I was told that different fish leave different footprints and that my current stock was fine, better once the fry are gifted out, but not a threat. I would love to learn more though if you could explain further.
Would 1 angelfish, 2 red wag platies, 2 sunburst platies, and 1 bn pleco be good in a 44gal?
That would leave my current tank: 4molly, 2 snails, 2 dwarf gourami, and 2 adf. (After gifting out the fry, cae, and glofish)

Anybody know how quickly angelfish grow?

Back
Top Bottom