Ever find fish you thought were dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a fish this morning that I was sure was dead. I had a 10g tank w/a convict in it. It was over run w/algae so I added a rubberlip pleco. Then I was told that was a bad idea to put him in there w/the convict so I tore the tank apart to rescue him and couldn't find him. I assumed he was dead. That was over a month ago. Today I went to turn the lights on and I found the pleco sucking on the glass at the front of the tank. I was shocked that he was still in there and mystified that I couldn't find him before. I took every decoration out of that tank when I was searching for him, but was unable to locate him. Yet, there he is fat and happy.

hmm, thats pretty amazing. I have had that happen with one of my female bettas in my ten gal. I was sure it jumped out and went behind my dresser, then after about a week of searching(tearing up all the decorations and stuff) i saw her just swimming around. My 10gal doesnt even have that much decorations, i was confused how that could have happened. I am glad you found your pleco. And i think your convict needs a bigger tank.

my pleco will stick himself to the ceiling of a cave, and appear not be in the tank, i wouldnt be surprised if yours did the same, even after you pulled it out of the water, they're not the brightest fish

The convict has been moved into a bigger tank since then. He wasn't that big to begin with. At only 3-4 inches he was fine as the only fish in the tank.

When I was searching for the pleco, I search everywhere. I turned the ornaments upside down, shined a flash light in there, and even stuck my fingers in there and felt around. Couldn't find that stupid fish anywhere.

hulkamaniac said:
Couldn't find that stupid fish anywhere.

Guess he wasn't so stupid really - he didn't want to be found and he wasn't :)
Glad you got your fish back - I wish some the ones I've lost would return !

If I remember, a member posted some time ago that his pleco was missing. He reported that all decor, plants, etc. was removed and pleco was nowhere to be found. A couple of days later, good news...the pleco was present and in good health. Where was he? Somehow he managed to squeeze himself into a bubble ornament. It's amazing where plecos can hide.

the other day i woke up to find my bamboo shrimp dead, so i take it back to petco (thanks for their 14 day exchange) and got a new bamboo shrimp. came home put it in the tank, then went out for the weekend. When i came back i notice that there were 2 shrimps in my tank....
My gf asked me if I was sure if it was a dead shrimp and not an molted exoskeleton.... :oops:

hibiki said:
My gf asked me if I was sure if it was a dead shrimp and not an molted exoskeleton.... :oops:

Love it ! The inexperience of the LFS paid off this time ! And aren't you glad the shrimp didn't die :)

Me and my friend were putting some shell dwelling cichlids (L. multi.) in a tank at our school that I had set up. We already had some shells in there but decided to take them out and use the shells that the fish came in. My friend acidentally put one of the shellies shell in the bag with the shells were had removed. We counted all the shellies in the tank. We bought eight but we only saw seven. So, expecting the worse I looked in the bag of shells and there was another shelly shell ( it had been there for 5 min. + ). I put the shell back in the tank and ten minutes latter it poked it's head out.

Back
Top Bottom