Everythings turning brown...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As the title says all my plants look un healthy...ive got what looks like hair algae on my hairgrass...looks black. All the leaves on my wisteria are starting to curl..my narrow hydros leaves just fall off, but grow new ones but are also curling and have a un healthy look. I run two 54w bulbs for 4 on and 4 off and 4 on again. Also have some green algae starting on the glass...any ideas?

Also...my puffer tank is over run with brown algae....tried doing a blackout...but that didnt work...

BfishLpond78 said:
Also...my puffer tank is over run with brown algae....tried doing a blackout...but that didnt work...

I had green water algae on the glass diatoms the works I split my photo period like you 4 on 4 off 4 on a got a uv sterilizer and it's amazing it's like I am looking at a photo shopped picture

What could be causing the alage...the tank has been up for two months and is fully cycled?

Puffer tank algae

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110904_192019.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110904_192019.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 75
Hairgrass with black covered fuzz and a java fern leaf with brown something growing on it...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110904_192225.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110904_192225.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20110904_192330.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110904_192330.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 71
Heres a shot where you can see narrow leaf hydro with minimal leaves...only on the top. The wisteria with the leaves curling and starting to turn brown as well as my amazon swords....any ideas would be much appreciated...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110904_192551.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110904_192551.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 70
Yes i have that fixture...only two bulbs going...should i cut back to just one?

The brown looks like diatoms which is totally normal. What all ferts were you using before you stopped? Were you dosing any macros? Otos or cherry shrimp would knock those diatoms out pretty well if they are feasible to add to the tank.

Here's a chart for plant deficiencies
plantproblems.jpg

taken from
Plant Deficiencies - 2 White 2 Nerdy Aquarium Forum

Also wanted to add that I have had issues with hair algae/spot algae from too much light, black brush algae from lack of co2 (also caused by too much light not enough co2 to compensate)

I was using macros...i have the full line of flourish liquid ferts...im just so unsure of a schedule. I have one leapord pleco, guaromis, sailfin molly, and neons...did have cherries but i think someone ate them....

I cant put anything in my puffer tank, it will become a snack...i the brown alage or diatoms can feed of silica from the substrate? Any truth to that? Any other ideas?

Yeah sounds like the cherries would be gone pretty quickly with mollies and such.

The fert dosing schedule on a non co2 tank is kind of a tossup. Personally with mine I dose right after water changes, so pretty much twice a week. However, my saving grace has been keeping the light low. I had algae issues when I quit dosing excel regularly and the only solution I found was to raise the light fixture a bit to lower intensity.

If you work with the PAR chart on plantedtank.net it will give you a good starting point to work with, less light = less demand on ferts/co2 and also less growth, both in algae and plants. The upside to this is the algae doesn't go out of control as quickly as it would with higher lighting so you may be able to find your balance and then slowly increase intensity from there.

As far as diatoms go, I just wait them out or let something eat them. You could manually remove it from leaves and decor with a light brushing, but otherwise it'll go away on it's own eventually. I've had diatom problems in tanks with nothing but river rocks, clay, and other non-sand substrates so it's not limited to sand, I think that silicates or something else in tap water plays a role as well.

Thank you very much ill reduce to one light after they cool down. Which bulb should i use...10000k or 6500k? Or does it even matter?

Any thoughts on the puffer tank with all the brown algae? Lighting is the led's that came off a marineland kit...nothing crazy.

Sorry didnt see the brown alfae post...ok. ill wait it out...so unsightly though

The puffer tank just sounds like diatoms. You could try cutting back on the light, I have spurred on diatoms by leaving a clamp light on the side of a tank for 24hrs straight (was trying to get a pair of fish to keep their spawn), when I removed the light there was a perfect ring of diatoms right where the light was at. However from the rest of what I've seen and read, light reduction isn't going to do a lot to help, it's just something you have to live with or remove manually unfortunately.

The type of light bulb you use definitely matters. Have a look at this link, this is a long read, but the part about kelvin ratings and plant growth is important.

Aquarium Lighting; Kelvin, Nanometers, PAR, Bulb, Watt, MH, LED, Light Basics.

The brown stuff is most likely, as others have said, diatoms. They feed off silica and look unsightly but are harmless. I had a lot on my tank decorations and simply took them out and scrubbed them with a toothbrush. It came off easily without using soap, bleach or anything else. I have put in several otos to keep it under control. It has only been a few days since I cleaned it so I dont know how well they will do, but that was the recommended treatment I received from several sources.

Good Luck!

:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom