Excess green algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulbrear

Aquarium Advice Regular
Suddenly I appear to have got green spots of algea all over the Inside of my tank glass has anyone any tips on prevention/cure ?? All ideas welcome !! First photo shows location second shows if you look carefully the algea

Attachments

• image-174426692.jpg
    image-174426692.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 58
  • image-2107398108.jpg
    image-2107398108.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 81
First, the good news is that aside from being unsightly, green algae doesn't pose a threat to your fish.

Some people add one of many types of algae-eating fish to their tanks -- though you'd have to take into consideration your current stocking level.

Aside from that, algae thrives on two things, light and nutrients. If the aquarium gets any direct sunlight, that can contribute greatly to the algae problem. Limiting artificial light can help keep algae under control as well.

As far as nutrients go, more frequent water changes and keeping nitrates low may also help.

Again, though, aside from being unsightly, algae isn't a health threat to the fish, and there isn't an aquarium keeper out there who hasn't had algae in his/her tank from time to time.

Good luck!

Kind words!! Thank you i didnt think it was a threat just the unsightly look!! I have a number of cherry shrimp and a brislenose plec too

Back
Top Bottom