Exciting things happening in my 10 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My betta made a bubble nest today, the first I've seen. Woohoo, he's happy, I'm happy.

Also, I've seen a couple fry swimming around. I think they're baby otos because they're elongated, about 1/4 inch long right now. I was on vacation last week and before I left I did water changes in my tanks. In the 10 gal, I noticed a very tiny something swimming around, I thought it was some kind of larva. Tried to catch it but couldn't and didn't have time to pursue it. Now I'm glad I didn't.

Any advice on what to feed the fry? They're obviously growing. Since I saw them yesterday, I'm feeding crushed up spirulina flakes for them. I've also got some brown algae and hair algae in the tank, along with a bunch of little snails.

I'm just so excited. :D

Well, hmm... that's unusual indeed. Otos almost never reproduce in an aquarium. I think you'll find that most fry are elongate, and that their bodies become closer to adults' bodies as they mature.

My money is on the platies in the other tank. Is it possible that you accidentally transferred over a couple of baby platies is the net at some point? This happened to me with zebra danios, and I though I had spawned my Chinese Algae Eaters (also hard to breed in an aquarium).

I kind of agree with madasafish Carol. However, stranger things have happened. I'm hoping it's true for you.

The fry are probably doing fine one algae and food scraps. They would like freshly hatched brine shrimp, if you happen to have some. There is also a food called Fry Bites, I cannot remember who makes it, but we use it with our fry and have had no problems.

I don't think it's possible for the fry to be platies. When I moved the platies from the QT tank to the 75 gallon, I broke down the QT and cleaned it out before I got the upside down catfish which eventually went into the 10 gal with betta and otos. And that was the end of August.

Menagerie, I don't have any freshly hatched brine shrimp, but I do have freeze dried. I put some of that in tonight. I'll go to the lfs tomorrow to see if I can get fry food, also a sponge filter to cover the intake tube of the HOB filter.

Well, I hope the little guys make it. It'll be interesting to see what they wanna be when they grow up. 8)

Back
Top Bottom