Exotic foods, live/frozen!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DukeNukem713

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i'm really in to feeding my fish live earthworms. I go out back and dig them up almost every day. My jack dempseys LOVE them, and my kribensis really likes them too. I've even caught my eel sucking on one at the bottom! I've seen my gouramis eat small ones too, but they have trouble with them and often the jack dempseys will steal them out of there mouths. my dempsey is growing alot too!

Anyway so i've been expanding my exotic food collection. I really like to mix it up with them. I have fed them 2 salamanders i found under some rocks. 1 small 1 large. the dempsey swallowed the small one right away but my fish had alot of trouble with the large one. they dont seem to like it's skin. i cut it into a bunch of smaller pieces and my fish were picking at it's insides, but again didnt swallow the skin.

Tonight i went to petco and got crickets, some kind of worms with hardshells, some frozen krill, and a 3 pack of frozen pinkie mice.

After some inspection, the dempsey took the cricket right away. Next was the mice, i cut him up in to two halves. All the fish took a bite from it but then left it alone. I guess they don't like red meat?

The worms shells were too hard and the fish didnt like it. Also they dont make much of a commotion and they float at the top so my dempsey's didnt even notice them. i broke the shell off one and took the insides out of it and dropped it in and my gourami ate that. Next time i think i will get the larva looking soft worms. My dempsey has eaten one of those before.

I wish it was spring/summer! I would be out catching grasshopers, fresh crickets, moths, or whatever I could get my hands on! I really want to try and give them a frog too. Or a dragonfly would be cool.

Does anyone else do this? Any bugs your fish really take a liking to? I've also read of people feeding dempseys turkey cold cuts. Other than that I usually feed them just frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. oh and ofcourse i thoroughly wash the food first! dont want any dirt in my tank

Share some stories!

I don't feed anything except New Life Spectrum pellets. It is complete and balanced nutrition in every bite, unlike frozen and whole food items which are usually a bunch of protein at best (and possibly pathogens, chemicals, etc.).

yeah my roomates feed pellets and bloodworms. but idk i think the fish (and myself) get a real thrill and natural instinctive feel eating a worm. just my opinion! they all seem happy and healthy, and the jack dempsey that gets most of the worms has grown so much and his colors are becoming so beautiful!

I got some brine shrimp for my tank as maybe a once in a while fancy meal they can eat. My guarmis love it. So does the angel. The tetras don't care and all the crusteceans love them lol

yes i do feed them proper foods too. its just a treat to keep them happy and entertained. mother nature provides plenty of nutrition too! im sure jack dempseys eat all sorts of live insects/bugs probably even baby birds and mice too in the wild

I totally recommend using different foods what animal including us likes to eat just one thing. Mix it up fish love that they seem to enjoy feeding time more. Kinda like feeding gold fish to oscars they love chasing them. I'm gonna take your experience and buy some worms for my fish!!!

The worms with hard shells sounds like a good meal for puffers btw 

Proper nutrition is more important than entertainment.

And thus the world was given K Rations!

I feed new life spectrum as a staple for my fish, but I supplement with frozen food (brine shrimp and bloodworms). They don't offer anything nutritionally that NLS doesn't offer, but like others, I've found that my fish generally just enjoy it more. Feeding NLS 4 times a week will fulfill any nutritional needs of your fish. I really think that variety counts a lot in the psychological health of fish, and that we should strive to provide as satisfying environment for our fish as reasonably possible.

aqua_chem said:
And thus the world was given K Rations!

I feed new life spectrum as a staple for my fish, but I supplement with frozen food (brine shrimp and bloodworms). They don't offer anything nutritionally that NLS doesn't offer, but like others, I've found that my fish generally just enjoy it more. Feeding NLS 4 times a week will fulfill any nutritional needs of your fish. I really think that variety counts a lot in the psychological health of fish, and that we should strive to provide as satisfying environment for our fish as reasonably possible.

Well put.

dropped another worm in this morning. the small dempsey finally got it before the big one did! He's turned in to such a bully, he gots all the good worms and he's outgrown his counterpart so much! wont even let him eat in peace anymore lol

funny story update:

today when i dropped in a cricket during feeding time, as my fish were focusing on the bloodworms and krill the cricket managed to swim to the back of my tank and climb right outside of it! hes escaped and is in my room now! lol

Oh no! I fed a cricket to my flowerhorn once when I had my blue tongue skink. He has a blast with it. That's the only other thing he will eat. Won't touch blood worms or anything else frozen and will only eat NLS. He spits other pellets out of the tank (I have Hikari and Omega).

Sadly.

I would love to try to feed him live foods. He's too small for much though.

That mouse video was pretty exciting. I would love to try that. Just worried about scratching...

try a worm. even my 1 1/2 inch kribensis takes those. cut it up if u need to

Worms freak me out. I would have to get my boyfriend to do it and he's in North Dakota playing with oil.

I will definitely try it though. thank you for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom