Experts - Can this setup work? Fish already selected etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
austinsdad said:
OK, how about:

* Blue tang (near last after 3-4 months when you got the tank settled quite a bit)
* Yellow tang (absolutely last - cause they can be mean to newcomers)
* or, purple tang
* 2 (mated pair) percula or ocellaris clowns
* a blenny (plenty to choose from)
* couple of gobies (maybe a pistol shrimp too)
* 3-5 blue green chromis
* (after one year and maybe 100-1550 lbs of live rock) a mandarin
* 3 cleaner shrimp
* assorted hermits
* assorted snails
* brittle and or serpent starfish

Much easier tank to mantain also IMO.

My 2 cents.

Now that my plan is updated to 150ish lbs of live rock, could I have all these fish and a few more? I think firefish look nice, and also some other types of starfish. Can damsels mix in with these or will they be too agressive? thanks!

What about wrasses, coral beautys, basslets, hogfish

Firefish are known jumpers, so covered tanks might be needed. But with a covered tank, there gas exchange/oxygen issues with glass or similar covers. Egg crate palstic with breathing holes work (like the ceiling light grids). There are also other kinds of starfish (linkia for instance) which can be more difficult to keep - gotta have good water and more experience IMO.

I stay away from damsels as they can be little terrors in a tank. I'd say OK on the wrasses too. You know, it should take you nearly 6 month to get fully stocked. This, as you add fish slowly, maybe QT new fish for 3-4 weeks then add them to the main, QT new fish...

Take your time and keep an eye on the water readings. They;ll letcha know if you're doing something wrong.

BTW, I'd replace the blue/hippo tang with another kind. I'm a big chicken as I hear they are regular ich magnets. But then again, like I said add the tangs last and togther if going for two of'm to keep agression at bay.

Back
Top Bottom