External canister experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a canister filter, and would like to hear some of your experiences. The particular one I am interested in a a Protege Aqua 2000 L/H. It also has UV, and is under a $100 delivered. It also come with media, but I already have sponge, matrix and purigen to put in it.
Do all canisters work in the same way? Thanks.

Yes most canisters work the same. The main differences is capacity, flow rate, and bells and whistles. I run 2 Rena xp's and have never had problems. Most brands are solid in quality, but there are faulty units we do encounter that makes purchasing difficult. Try to match what your looking for with price and hopefully you will find something you like.

I wouldn't trust my fish to no name filters personally

Yes all canisters work in the same fashion as Mohican mentioned. I agree with cynic on going with a known trusted canister name like fluval. I'm assuming the one you're looking at is a known name down under?

I have three of these filters (1000L, 1500L & 2000L model) ranging from 1-2 years old. Never had any type of major issue. I think they are fantastic for the amount you pay for them. The uv filter on the 1500L started leaking water into the uv bulb compartment but I never bothered to investigate the problem. I just leave it off because its not needed. The hoses on the larger 2000L model can be a real pain to prime but once its going theres no problem. So you know, these filters are also sold under the names pro-aqua, aquatop and sun-sun.

Yes all canisters work in the same fashion as Mohican mentioned. I agree with cynic on going with a known trusted canister name like fluval. I'm assuming the one you're looking at is a known name down under?

Boy, I'd love a couple of Fluval G3s, but things being what they are, I could only buy a very basic Fluval with half the capacity of the cheapo canister. I think the one I'm looking at is the 2000l/h one that Mumma has:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Prot...r-Fish-Water-Tank-Pond-UV-Light-/130793664333

I have three of these filters (1000L, 1500L & 2000L model) ranging from 1-2 years old. Never had any type of major issue. I think they are fantastic for the amount you pay for them. The uv filter on the 1500L started leaking water into the uv bulb compartment but I never bothered to investigate the problem. I just leave it off because its not needed. The hoses on the larger 2000L model can be a real pain to prime but once its going theres no problem. So you know, these filters are also sold under the names pro-aqua, aquatop and sun-sun.

Hi Mumma, have you used other branded canisters? If so I'd be interested to hear how they compare. I have just thrown out an Aqua Nova and a Jebo canister- they were second hand (came with the tanks I bought off gumtree) they were virtually identical other than the branding, and both were a pain to prime. It seemed that i couldnt clean the filters without causing them to leak. After replacing o-rings and still getting flooded (and shocked on one occasion) I threw them in the bin.

I'm not sure if uv sterilisation in aquariums even works- there seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the subject. Like you say- it can always be turned off though.

Hi Mumma, have you used other branded canisters? If so I'd be interested to hear how they compare. I have just thrown out an Aqua Nova and a Jebo canister- they were second hand (came with the tanks I bought off gumtree) they were virtually identical other than the branding, and both were a pain to prime. It seemed that i couldnt clean the filters without causing them to leak. After replacing o-rings and still getting flooded (and shocked on one occasion) I threw them in the bin.

I'm not sure if uv sterilisation in aquariums even works- there seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the subject. Like you say- it can always be turned off though.

Never used another brand of canister because these have lasted so well (so far). I have a jebo HOB though. Not sure what I think of it. Seems to leak when it gets dirty. Wish I could help more with a comparison but for what it's worth I think you should go for the 2000

Back
Top Bottom