External filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talbot1177

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a rio 125, and it's abit over stocked I was wondering if I added an external filter to work with the internal one would that help my nitrate level?

More filtration will always help. By external do you mean canister or sump? If its a canister you can use it for mainly bio filtration to get more time between changes.

Im pretty new to all this, but I dont think extra filtration will help with nitrates. Its my understanding that nitrates will always be increasing and the only way to lower them is through water changes.

Im pretty new to all this, but I dont think extra filtration will help with nitrates. Its my understanding that nitrates will always be increasing and the only way to lower them is through water changes.
You are correct. I have a Nitrate issue myself. They are +40 from my tap, so upon a recommendation from Rivercats, I plant some Water Sprite. I have no clue about plants but it is classed as a beginners plant and very easy to grow and care for. It is also excellent at removing Nitrates. Hopefully it does the trick. It is not a substitute for weekly water changes though!!!

Nitrates are not that harmful to most fish

If you have nitrates below 100 ppm I wouldn't lose any sleep over it

You can never have to much filtration

You can lower nitrates by adding more plants or doing more water changes most people have nitrates in tap water so they can never get them down to 0 even if they change all the water

If you know you are over stocked yes add the external filter as it will turn the waste into nitrate faster so you won't have any ammonia or nitrite which are toxic to fish

I would recommend adding the filter and do 1-2 25% water changes per week all depending how over stocked you are

Or the much easier and cheaper option would be to lower your stock levels lol

There iOS a stocked level guide that says 1" per gallon but that rule is rubbish or I would be able to keep 1000" of fish in my tank I only have about 100" of fish and I would say I'm over stocked lol

I have just added a 300 litre external filter with my juwel internal. I do 25% water changes every week.

In my experience, the juwel internal filters do a good job once theyre matured.

The juwel corner filter is very under rated for the tank and takes up way to much tank space

The heater is also rubbish

Nearly everyone I know put up with it for a few years then ripped the whole corner section out and put a canister on the tank they have ALL said it was the best thing they ever done it also saves you loads of money as the filter media is a rip off

I agree the juwel filter media is a rip off, but really the only media that needs changing is the white polypad, and u can just buy cheap stuff and cut it to size, the blue bio sponges I never change.

Going to use the internal and external together until the juwel filter falls off! Half way off already!!

Back
Top Bottom