External parasite or fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a male betta. On one part of his body, it looks like a scale is raised and a small white something is attached to the area. OR maybe his scale isn't raised and something else is attached to it. No other signs of illness that I can see. He's eating well and lively at this point.

Tank parameters: ammonia just a hair above 0 (I'll probably do another pwc tomorrow) , nitrites 0, temp is 80.

Tank is 5.5 gallons and has been set up for about a month. It's still in its first cycle.

I use a sponge filter for up to 10 gallons.

Last PWC was done on Thursday, about 50%.

I did add a small terra cotta pot yesterday. Rinsed it thoroughly in hot water before adding. I also reagarranged the decorations a bit and probably stirred up some stuff. While I was doing this, I noticed a small bit of white stuff attached to a ceramic shell decoration that I had not noticed before. It looks kinda cottony.

I feed him Hikari betta bio gold, 4-5 pellets a day.

Here are some pics, two with flash, one without.

As I am writing this, I checked him again, and it looks like the small white thing came off his body. But the scale is still raised/swollen/or something is else is still on it. I think I saw the white thing floating around in the water but I lost track of it.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 695
Upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass, it looks like there is something white that is under his scale, causing the scale to protrude. OR something whitish a bit translucent is covering a scale. When I look from the side, whatever it is is protruding. Just a minute ago he flashed twice...first time I've seen him do it. No other signs of distress.

It sounds like a parasite possible. See if you can get some parasite medication. I like Jungle brand myself, but it depends on what is available to you.

I got some "simply betta" parasite meds and hopefully that will clear it up.

Do you have any idea what the white fuzzy stuff is on my ceramic shell? Upon closer inspection, it looks like it's all over the shell!

So when I bought the parasite med, the LFS guy said to remove my sponge filter first and not to do a water change right away because it might further stress my fish. But I've read that removing the filter will make my tank cycle again? How will that effect my tank since it is still in its first cycle?

Also, I've read that doing a water change is a good thing to do if your fish is sick.

So, I did remove the filter about 6 hours ago (put it in a cup of tank water) and left in the airline tubing to aerate the water. I didn't do a water change before adding the drops of medicine. I also raised the temp to 84.

Also, what do people think about adding aquarium salt as a treatment?

How long does it take for parasite meds to work?

Still wondering what the white stuff is attached to the ceramic shell. I don't think it will come off without scrubbing. Is it harmful or beneficial?

Also wondering where everyone is today? Usually get more responses...guess everyone is enjoying their weekend:)

Change your water clean water is very important at all times. Just replace any meds.

Put the filter back. If you have any AC in it remove it. The last thing your fish needs is ammonia poisoning.

I see no need for salt unless the fish has ich.

Alright. So I put the sponge filter back in, did a 50% water change, washed off the ceramic shell in old tank water, and returned the heat to 80.

You know, he doesn't seem bothered by this at all, whatever it is. I thought that I saw him flash yesterday, but I think he just got startled by something. I haven't seen any flashing since.

He ate fine this morning, good appetite, no rubbing against anything, no darting, normal activity level and interaction. Whatever is on him looks completely unchanged this morning. If you look from the side, it still looks like his scale is pushed out a bit, or something is still attached.

I'm starting to wonder if this really is a parasite. Maybe fungus or the beginning of cauliflower disease? Or an injury?

Any ideas??? Anyone?

It's very hard to tell from your pictures. While it may not be a parasite, it isn't recommended to switch from one medication to another.If it were me I would continue this treatment for another day then I would put some active carbon in the tank and do a large water change.Then if there is no change in a day or two try an antifungal/bacterial medicine like Jungle's fungus eliminator.

In my experience, parasites (ich) look like very small salt grains sprinkled on the fish. Velvet looks like a "gold dusting" over the fish. Shine a flashlight on your fish in the dark and see if anything shines or glows.

I agree with Zagz - it's not good to switch meds. But if you're not really certain that he has parasites, I wouldn't give him that medicine anymore. Do a few water changes and keep watching him. If that scale continues to look raised try Jungle fungus eliminator like Zagz said. I have always had good luck with that med for my bettas.

Thanks you two :) Everything looks the same this morning. Under flashlight and magnifying glass, I am certain that there is no gold dusting or salt like looking ich. It's really just the one spot. Should I do a water change everyday and how much? Also, what is active carbon? I use a sponge filter for my tank.

If it's just one spot, it probably isn't parasites. A parasite usually doesn't occur singly - there are usually lots of them! 8O One parasite like a leach-type worm could be by itself, but I would think that's rare. To have a leach-type parasite or worm you'd have to have very dirty water and neglect the tank for a long time! I don't think your water conditions are right for that type of parasite, and the more common parasites, ich and velvet, are pretty easy to see.

You don't have any activated carbon in your sponge filter. Carbon looks like little bits of charcoal, about gravel-sized, and it can be placed into the media basket of a filter to absorb and remove medications. When it's been in the tank for 1-2 days for medication removal, then you can remove it from the tank. I have a small plastic corner filter that I used to fill with carbon and place it in the tank for medicine removal. I don't medicate in the main tank anymore because I have live plants now.

If you put meds in the tank, I would do a 25% water change every day, without vacuuming the gravel, for 3 or 4 days. After that, just watch him and see if his activity and eating are normal. One of my bettas that I had a few years ago had a small spot on his head that looked like a little pimple but it never changed, grew, or became infected. He lived a long life and I don't think it was the cause of his death. Your betta may just have a "unique oddity" too and it's nothing to worry about. If this spot does change in any way, then try the Jungle Fungus Eliminator. It has both antibacterial and antifungal meds in it.

Fin Rot Too?

WOAH :(

Got home for lunch to check on my fish, and he has finrot! I'm sure if it because chunks of his fins are missing at the edges :(:( and it looks like pieces are falling off! Maybe this is related to whatever the white spot ailment is?

I remember I posted a while ago about concern that his fins were curling. I guess I was right, I guess it was the beginning of finrot.

What is the best treatment now? Please help!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll get some today after work.

So, I am wondering about stress and it's role in his illness. I only recently discovered that when I have the hood light on during the day, the rest of the room is dark enough that he can see his reflection and he's been flaring at it. Probably pretty stressful. Also, I'm sure it didn't help that I've been trying to take pictures of him and keep checking to see if he's okay...probably too much stimulation/stress.

I'm going to leave the hood light off. Lay off the photos now. Let him have as much peace and quiet as possible while he is being treated. Eventually I'll have to find a solution for the reflection thing.

Thanks for all you help! I try not to be too panicky about this...but he's my first fish and I'm such a newbie :oops:

Attachments

• Corwin 10.jpg
    Corwin 10.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Corwin 11.jpg
    Corwin 11.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 65
From the picture I don't see any bad finrot. I do see a split on the caudal fin that may not have been there before. Unless it looks worse than the picture, I'd skip meds and just do a few extra water changes. Good clean water goes a long way in helping to cure mild finrot. But if you think it's bad enough go ahead and medicate.

It's a good idea also, like you said, to try to relieve his stress by leaving the light off and not taking pictures for now.

Does he rest on the bottom a lot? I had one betta that always rested on the bottom of the tank. His anal fin was always a bit ragged on the lower edge but it didn't progress to finrot.

I agree, I don't see the finrot that you see unless the pics are not showing an actual representation of the fins. If you feel there is fin rot, stick with the jungle's fungus elliminator as it may be columnaris or another bacterial infection.

No, the pics don't do it justice. I actually watched as a piece of fin fell off :(. There is red/black at the ends of his fin too.

Actually, he swims all around the tank. He's very mobile. When he rests, he likes to rest on the sponge filter...I guess it's a nice soft surface :)

On Sunday afternoon, I did one treatment of "simply betta" parasite meds because I thought it was a parasite. I left the sponge filter in. Then on Monday afternoon, I did a 50% water change.

Should I be using charcoal to get rid of the parasite meds before using the jungle fungus eliminator? Or is it gone by now?

I'll do a 25% water change before using the new med.

I am not familiar with simply betta parasite meds. Does it list the active medicinal ingredient? Some medications are more durable than others and harder to remove from the tank. Copper being one of those meds that is extremely difficult to remove.

Back
Top Bottom