facepalm moment.. terrarium plant x.x

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi so I bought a plant without researching and realized later on it isn't fully aquatic. It's alternanthera ficoidea. One website said it can stay in the tank for a couple months, then will need to be grown emersed for a couple months and so on. So how can I accomplish this? How would I grow this as a proper terrarium plant?

When you bought it was it under water? You could put it in a pot and have the water level to where the leaves grow slightly out of water.

A small vase or even a plastic cup should work fine. If you use a pot just find one that doesn't have a drainage hole at the bottom. Use some soil and put enough water to cover the soil.

I know this was a while ago, but thank you both. I forgot about this lol. So I guess when it starts to look a little wilty I'll take it out and pot it. Does it not need humidity? I was under the impression that terrarium plants needed a humid environment.

I would imagine it does need humidity. The longer you have it under water the longer it will take to revert back, I think. If you have it in your tank now and the original leaves were grown out of water, those leaves are going to die off, you'll get under water growth, and then you'll need to take it out and the underwater growth will die off and it'll need to revert back to making above ground growth. It believe that's what'll happen, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom