Fat male guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a male guppy who seems to be getting very fat. I feed my fish once a day. And its a small pinch. I feed them hikari tropical micro pellets, sometimes i use aquarian tropical fish flakes. I also put in king british catfish pellets for my bronze and peppered corys.

Ive put him in a floating tank atm, ive put some boiled frozen shelless peas in just incase it is a form of constipation.

My water is.

Ammonia. 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. 30
Ph. 8.0

I have a 110l tank

Sorry about the picture quality. Ive tried to get all different angles so you could see how fat he is.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1429392181992.jpg
    1429392181992.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 1429392196011.jpg
    1429392196011.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 1429392216718.jpg
    1429392216718.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 1429392228989.jpg
    1429392228989.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 193
Ok. Ill take the peas out.

Not sure much you can do for this fish, but if others come down with similar symptoms make another thread and try the epsom salt and some ick medicine

Ok thanks. He actually died. I went shopping and came home to find him dead. :(

is fatness also a symptom of ick?

Ok thanks. He actually died. I went shopping and came home to find him dead. :(

is fatness also a symptom of ick?

sorry about your guppy.
No fatness is NOT a symptom of ich.

I was just wondering why matt said to use some ick medicine.

I didnt see any white spots of any other signs of desease.

Not sure much you can do for this fish, but if others come down with similar symptoms make another thread and try the epsom salt and some ick medicine

Why use the Ich treatment? If there are no physical signs of it then you are only adding to the stress.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It may have been dropsy.

Can they get fat with dropsy? I noticed he was struggling to swim propeerly this morning when i woke up, he looked like he was ready to explode thenpoor little guy.

Why use the Ich treatment? If there are no physical signs of it then you are only adding to the stress.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thats why i asked if fatness was a symptom.

Thats why i asked if fatness was a symptom.

Fatness has no relationship with Ich. Your case is probably bloating, or your guppy could be a female and was just mislabeled.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Fatness has no relationship with Ich. Your case is probably bloating, or your guppy could be a female and was just mislabeled.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
My first thought was it is a female,but I'm new here and don't know how much OP knows about his fish.
Bloating without pine conning (dropsy) is often just constipation and the Epsom salt and or pea is best first try.

My first thought was it is a female,but I'm new here and don't know how much OP knows about his fish.
Bloating without pine conning (dropsy) is often just constipation and the Epsom salt and or pea is best first try.

Indeed I would put the blanched pea back in and try it. If it doesn't work and is confirmed not a female I would say dropsy.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for all your replies guys. The guppy was definitely male.
Ill keep a closer eye on my tank in the next few days.
Any early signs i should look for just incase it happens to any of my other fish?
Thanks for your help.

Thanks for all your replies guys. The guppy was definitely male.
Ill keep a closer eye on my tank in the next few days.
Any early signs i should look for just incase it happens to any of my other fish?
Thanks for your help.

Thankfully, if it was in fact dropsy, it's highly unlikely it will spread to your other fish as it's not really a highly contagious disease.

Thankfully, if it was in fact dropsy, it's highly unlikely it will spread to your other fish as it's not really a highly contagious disease.

How did he get this? My water was ok. I added four more peppered corys to my tank. Would that have stressed him out? Ive gad him for around 15m9nths so i was gitted to lose him

How did he get this? My water was ok. I added four more peppered corys to my tank. Would that have stressed him out? Ive had him for around 15months so i was gutted to lose him

Typos. :/

Back
Top Bottom