favorite type of freshwater snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DR NOTORIOUS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just want to no your favorite type of freshwater snail or snails I just want name and expirence wit snail and pic if possible. Thanks.

DR NOTORIOUS said:
I just want to no your favorite type of freshwater snail or snails I just want name and expirence wit snail and pic if possible. Thanks.

My favorite is zebra nerite snails. They love to eat green algae that grows on the glass.

My favorite is zebra nerite snails. They love to eat green algae that grows on the glass.

x2 I love my nerite snails. I haven't used to algae scraper in months.

I also love my Golden Mystery Snails, they're in their own 10 gallon tank because they were destroying my heavily planted tank. But they're really cute.

Convict2161 said:
Mystery snails. First go around my Africans had them for desert. Second try there leaving them alone.

+ same here!! Getting some today. Brother had some when I was younger and I always liked them.

Assassin snails are my fave! Watching them go on the hunt is really amazing.

(don't have a pic, I'm at work)

+1 for the Assassin snails. After you see the assassins rise out of the substrate like zombies and give chase to prey snails, you'll be hooked. An added plus is they have some really nice coloration.

But if you are looking for a typical algae snail than look elsewhere.

I have two Nerite snails and I like them, they're interesting to watch and peaceful. :D Plus they can't breed in freshwater so there's no worry of waking up to hundreds of snails in the tank!

+1

I have two zebra nerite snails, love them! Eat algae, don't bother the fish, don't breed in freshwater, and are fish-safe! The only thing bad I have to say about them is that they are great escape artists. I used to have three
but found one on the floor that had been there for who-knows all dried up.

I will post pics when I can.

How can you pick anything other than an assasin snail or golden rabbit snail? All other are just so plain and bland. They are just there. With these 2, people actually look at them like that's cool, what is that?

What type of snails would be fine wit loaches and a tire track eel?

I love my trumpet snails, not sure if they are malaysian or not. But they sift my sand nicely and usually eat up the fish poop. Keeps my ammonia and nitrate at a stable number.

:)

How can you pick anything other than an assasin snail or golden rabbit snail? All other are just so plain and bland. They are just there. With these 2, people actually look at them like that's cool, what is that?

I totally disagree. There are some beautiful varieties of nerite snails available in the hobby that are far from plain and bland. There are other tylomelania that are just as nice looking as the poso orange IMO.

Back
Top Bottom