Feather dusters reproducing extremely fast!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a few leaves of live rock in January and after purchase noticed there were mini feather dusters growing all over them. Now all of a sudden they have started growing over the place. There are some growing in the sand, on rock, and even on one of my turbo snails!! I'm not sure if this is anything out of the ordinary but I just noticed this the other day. Has anything like this happened to anyone? Will the feather duster growing on my turbo harm it in some way? Also what type of feather dusters are these? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1459434027.785847.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They won't harm anything. It is a sign of what is in your water column. If there is lots of nutrients for them to eat, you will have many. You can see a similar thing occur with pineapple sponges as a tank matures. They usually die off when the food source dies off.

They won't harm anything. It is a sign of what is in your water column. If there is lots of nutrients for them to eat, you will have many. You can see a similar thing occur with pineapple sponges as a tank matures. They usually die off when the food source dies off.

So over all this is a good sign? Or does it not really mean anything?

The tank is pretty new right? They tend to explode in number in new tanks and then die back as the tank matures.

The tank is pretty new right? They tend to explode in number in new tanks and then die back as the tank matures.

Yes, a fairly new tank. I started it around Christmas

Back
Top Bottom