Featherfin overrunning cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPillow

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I've noticed lately that my Syno seems to be overrunning the cories at feeding time. He is about 3" long and shares the bottom with 4 cories. I feed a variety of foods including an Aquadine blend which contains spirulina flakes, tropical flakes, and shrimp pellets. Also feed algae wafers, Tetracolor tropical crisps, freeze-dried bloodworms, and larger shrimp pellets. Anything substantial in size that reaches the bottom is quickly gobbled up by the Syno and the cories are left with only tiny pieces. I am beginning to worry they are not getting enough to eat. They show no physical signs of being malnourished, and behavior seems normal, but I still worry!

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Synodontis are pigs, adult featherfins in particular tend to get quite fat. You should see the baby S. multipunctatus I have growing out. Their little bellies are so big and round after feeding that they actually roll around on them.
If you feed more the featherfin will just get bigger faster, and at 3" it's not even halfway grown yet. However, I've never known a healthy fish to starve to death.

That Syno will out compete the cories every time when it comes to food. I would move the Syno or cories to another tank so everyone gets their fair share. The Syno will also get kinda mean as it grows up, mine use to chase my peacocks around the tank.

I suggest you toss wafers on different sides of the tank. I usually put some in his cave, then on the other side of the tank so he doesnt bother everyone else

How big is the tank? I agree with Gboy that you can try tossing the wafers on opposite sides of the tank. But, ultimately I think Mogurako is right that the featherfin will get sort of mean, so having him with the corys long term might not be the best idea.

Back
Top Bottom