Feeders with odd bumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talks2turtles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So yesterday we went to our really reliable pet store (they always have healthy animals) and we picked up some feeders. We are raising our own but we we didn't have any yesterday. We picked up some guppies which look fine and some tuffies (the little minnows). My husband told me to toss them in the tank because his fish was hungry (he was) and I was skeptical just to toss them all in but I did, he told me it was fine. I wish I had taken a closer look but anyway after that I noticed a few of them, four or so out of 20 something, had weird lumps on them. I took them all out and put them in a little tank. I will post some pictures of them. My fish look fine so far but I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this, if it's contagious, and if there is any medication I should add to the water for preventative measures. The resident fish are oscars, a clown knife, a gar, and a plecostomus. I am very worried and told my husband we are going to quarantine any feeders before adding them from now on that come from anywhere. This forum is a little different then the ones I am use to so I hope I managed to attach the pics correctly. If they don't show I will try again! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7417.jpg
    IMG_7417.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7416.jpg
    IMG_7416.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7415.jpg
    IMG_7415.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 71
I'm not sure what those bumps are but you really shouldn't feed feeders to your fish. They can get all sorts of diseases from them. I personally wouldn't risk it. I feed a high quality pellet like New Life Spectrum. Good luck

thanks for your concern but out knife fish and gar will not accept pellets, we have tried, a lot of predatory fish do not accept pellets in our experience. we breed most of our own and have never had a problem with the place we bought the feeders from, in fact we never get feeders or fish from anyone else, obviously yesterday being the exception.. seems to be the same as the snakes i raised most would accept frozen/thawed but there are always a fickle few who only accept live.. it's either that or let them starve :(

we spoke to the fish people at the store and they said it shouldn't be an issue since they weren't in the tank for more then a min, he is checking the tank the others are in to see if it looks like it will be a problem he said he would call us right away if it looked bad and he will credit us for the feeders (not that i care about that as much) but also would accommodation if anything happens with our fish, which, again.. is not ideal.. but i will just make sure we quarantine any feeders if they are not our own.. i will also let you guys know if i find anything else out i am sure i am not the only one here that has fish who require feeders so this bit of info might be useful.. and if anyone happens to know what those bumps are i am still trying to find out, i have researched quite a bit and haven't seen anything quite like it

I would get a pair of convicts. They breed like crazy and are much more cleaner and healthier than goldfish feeders. Also I have heard goldfish don't have enough vitamin B? Convicts are fun to watch and you can keep a pair in a 20g.

I would get a pair of convicts. They breed like crazy and are much more cleaner and healthier than goldfish feeders. Also I have heard goldfish don't have enough vitamin B? Convicts are fun to watch and you can keep a pair in a 20g.

i love that idea, we actually are quite fond of convicts anyway, my husband said he had bred them before, i think we might just do that.. thnx again! :thanks:

what kind of knife fish i have a clown knife that won't eat anything but live not even frozen silversides

Yep, a clown knife.. and he has NO interest in anything that he can't hunt down lol!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom