feeding catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got 4 otocinclus sp. I got them because they are in my tank's region and I read that they cleaned algae really well. My question is:

As long as there is algae in the tank, should I assume they are eating ok--or do they need supplemental foods?

I usually drop in some algae wafers a couple times a week to suppliment them, but if your tank is planted they will be fine. I have a couple in one of my tanks and they seem happy.

Have you checked out the webiste I refer to in my post titled 'new algae eater' within getting started. It links to a whole catfish database so you can work out exactly what type you have.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3791

the lfs told us not to feed ours as it would make it lazy. however i felt sorry for it, gave it some food and it didn't eat it. it was a real hassle to remove from the tank.

can i feed it potato chunks?

My BN catfish didn't eat the alg chips either and the tank got really sick from the waste, I was nieve and didn't know the stuff was just breaking down into the gravel until some thread-like white worms became present after a major gravel vac and wiped out my fish. Be careful...just because the LFS recommends certain products doesn't mean they necessarily know for your fish. Check out fishweeds link :wink:

Louise

I have 3 ottos and never need to feed them anything extra. As long as I see little blooms of algae in spots around the tank, I haven't added a thing. They do a pretty good job but I still have to wipe the front of the tank down occasionally.

I got 2 snowball plecos and also 1 candy stripe pleco and they just go around the tank sucking on the walls of the tank...also I drop a few algae tablets and they get right on them...dont have any driftwood yet but planning on adding some asap.

Back
Top Bottom