Feeding cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millerb7

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, feeding my betta's are really easy.

Feeding these cichlids are a tad harder. I feel that I may be feeding them a little to much (maybe often) and want to avoid any issues. I was just watching them in the tank tonight and noticed their belly's were a tad big... so I'm assuming I fed them a little much.

I'm feeding them NLS cichlid formula. I feed them in the morning and evening. I've basically just been taking a pinch full or two and throwing it in the tank. No food ever goes uneaten... it's all gone within a matter of a minute or two.... but the fat belly's tonight has me wondering.

It's basically 6 fish I'm feeding and it's hard to make sure everybody gets their share... some eat more than the others etc etc.

So, any thoughts? How often/much do you feed your cichlids? Any tips? Comments, etc....

Oh... they are african cichlids, yellow labs, rusties, and maingano.... none of them are any bigger than about 2.5" long.... some are even just about an inch long.... they all get along perfect, no fighting or anything.

I don't know much about African cichlids, but I have had and currently have South Americans and twice a day is too much for them. Even everyday is not desirable. I feed my FH every three days and then skip a day. If their belly is bulging, then that is too much. I know of many cichlids that have blown their stomachs from over eating.

I'm sure someone with AC experience can give better information, but this caught my attention. Good luck.

I appreciate the feedback for sure. And I Just noticed the belly's tonight, and I am always looking closely at them so I don't think it's been an ongoing issue.. but since I noticed it tonight I feel it's an issue I def. need to address so it doesn't become a real problem.

I'll def. be fasting them tomorrow for sure to be safe and readjusting my feeding habits for them.

Yes. 2-3 pellets on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday... or something close.

Yes? To which part of the question ;) Not trying to be difficult just wanting to make sure I get this right... I really like all these little guys.

I just want to make sure nobody goes starving while the slightly bigger ones pig out but I don't want to overfeed them either (like it appears I did today)

Also... that sounds like a rather simple feeding schedule... if that's all they need then it shouldn't be hard.

My bad, missed that part. Yes, per fish. I had 37, so that was a lot of food. That's why I said 2-3. I figured it out with a measuring spoon and used that every time I'd feed.

My bad, missed that part. Yes, per fish. I had 37, so that was a lot of food. That's why I said 2-3. I figured it out with a measuring spoon and used that every time I'd feed.

So let me ask you this... if I have 6.. so that's 12-18 pellets... do you just dump them all in at once or actually try to feed to certain fish (which is pretty impossible from my guess lol)....

I'd say now I'm doing just about that much... probably closer to the 18 mark... but I'm def. NOT doing it just 3-4 days a week... which I'll start doing.

I feed my cichlids every other day. I have 8 right now so I try to monitor them all during feeding time. I don't find it as hard as I thought since they all come right up to me and sometimes they jump out of the water to grab a pellet before it sinks. It's pretty cool to watch! It's like a feeding frenzy.

I just watch and see if everyone is getting there share. Then I drop a few sinking pellets for my pleco in different locations in the tank.

I know feeding them a little bit a couple times a day def reduces aggression as well, by causing them to 'mingle' more or less at every feeding

I feed my cichlids (s/c american) once a day. They get four pellets total. There are two (adult) fish. I don't think I'm over feeding.

I feed my cichlids every other day. I have 8 right now so I try to monitor them all during feeding time. I don't find it as hard as I thought since they all come right up to me and sometimes they jump out of the water to grab a pellet before it sinks. It's pretty cool to watch! It's like a feeding frenzy.

I just watch and see if everyone is getting there share. Then I drop a few sinking pellets for my pleco in different locations in the tank.

I know feeding them a little bit a couple times a day def reduces aggression as well, by causing them to 'mingle' more or less at every feeding
Interesting. So it seems everybody kind of has their own feeding habits. From a little bit a few times a day all the way to only 3 times a week.

Dont forget...They graze all day on algae. Two small feedings everyday except for Wednesday. Thats what I do

I feed 2x a day and haven't had issues. I feed pellets and crisps, that way they can eat what they like lol

Back
Top Bottom